• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (1 Viewer)

Have exams next week, it always seems that I miss all the fab summer birds because of the mid term and end of term exams!

After the exams I should hopefully be able to catch up with some nice flycatchers and owls.

Today I saw my 300 species in GermanyB :) It was a Greenish Warbler beautiful singing:)
Now i´m a real member of the german club300:)

My year-list is now on 239:)

Greets Armin

1st) Birding Maniac (UK, Durham) - 241 species
2nd) Armin Kreusel (Germany, Hannover) - 239 species
3rd) Birder of the South (UK, South) - 211 species
4th) Jonny721 (UK, Lancashire) - 193 species
5th) Joshua B (Australia, Sydney) – 189 species
6th) Joseph N (UK, Aberdeenshire) - 184 species
7th) Knotsbirder (UK, Nottinghamshire) - 184 species
8th) Simmojunior (UK, London) - 182 species
9th) harpyeagle1 (USA) - 175 species
10th) Samuel Perfect (UK, Herts) - 167 species
11th) Ospr3y (USA) - 141 species
12th) Silverstar24 (UK, London) - 136 species
13th) DIJ (UK, Lincs) - 117 species
14th) Halcon (Spain) - 114 species
15th) Midlands Birder (UK, Midlands) - 109 species
16th) Mari E (Japan) - 101 species
17th) Mworks (UK, Lancashire) - 96 species
18th) Adin 92 (Malta) - 80 species
19th) Trevistky (Canada) - 65 species
20th) Goldfinch12 (UK, Lancashire) - 59 species
21st) Wildlifelove (UK, Essex) - 56 species
22nd) Sandhill Crane Lover (USA) – 54 species
23rd) Beth598x (UK, South) - 19 species

Currently down in Norfolk but have spent time in both Herefordshire and Somerset in the last couple of weeks. Have had some nice birds but will personally update when I'm back in Aberdeen. Sorry for any delays, I've had minimal internet access until now.

Welcome harpyeagle1, nice to have another young birder on board. Interesting to hear your family are originally from the UK, whereabouts in the UK are you based when you come across?

Congrats Armin on reaching 300, and a nice bird to reach it on too. I agree we get more Nearctic species. Cornwall and Scilly in the south-west of the UK are particularly good but of course the whole country gets its share of Nearctic vagrants. We do get a lot of Manxies, as well as some Sooty Shearwaters from July onwards, whilst southern England gets Balearic as well. Great, Cory's and other shearwaters are rare as in Germany, though once again Cornwall and Scilly get such species every year; big passages of those two species do occasionally take place there and in Ireland. There are good populations of Puffin around, though they are generally confined as a breeding species to northern parts of the UK.

Joseph

Last edited:
4th) Joshua B (Australia, Sydney) – 199 species
5th) Jonny721 (UK, Lancashire) - 193 species
6th) Joseph N (UK, Aberdeenshire) - 184 species
8th) Simmojunior (UK, London) - 182 species
9th) harpyeagle1 (USA) - 177 species

A nice blog there Josh with a great account of the pelagic and decent pics. Always good to hear of birding at the other side of the earth (quite literally).

Joseph

Last edited:
My yearlist has stalled substantially as I'm only on 183 species but I am certainly not complaining as I have just got back from amazing 3 weeks in South Africa. Not a huge total of bird species at 135 (as birdwatching opportunities were limited to the garden and generally from a moving vehicle) but some really special birds such as Secretarybird, Knysna Turaco and Crowned Eagle.

Yeah, my year list has kind of stalled too. Also, the birds here in summer aren't all to great so I may have to wait until Fall to get too many more.

New (and therefore not that good) birding blog at pittsburghbirdinglife527.wordpress.com

Okay, just a quick question for those of you in the US. Are any of you going to the ABA Midatlantic Youth Birding Confrence. If not, you all should look into it it looks like some good lectures and birding.

185. Raven (Herefs)
186. Whinchat (Herefs)
187. Red Kite (Herefs)
188. Nuthatch
189. Iberian Chiffchaff (x1 male at Porlock, Somerset, 9th July)
190. Reed Warbler
191. Hobby
192. Water Rail
193. Great White Egret (2+ at Ham Wall, Somerset, 9th July)
194. Little Owl (x2 on my patch in Norfolk, several dates)
195. Wood Sandpiper
196. Curlew Sandpiper
197. Green Sandpiper
198. Nightjar (x2 at Dersingham Bog, Norfolk, 15th July)
199. Mediterranean Gull (x1 sumplum ad at Cromer)
200. Yellow-legged Gull (self found adult at my patch, 18th July)
201. Yellow Wagtail
202. Black-necked Grebe (x1 sumplum at Frampton Marsh, Lincolnshire, 19th July)

I am now back from my three weeks away, which saw me spending a week each in Herefordshire, Somerset and Norfolk, which all produced nice birds. In those 3 weeks exactly 130 species were seen, with a good deal of new birds for the year taking the yearlist up to 201.

Really enjoyable stuff with a great variety of birds seen, highlights of which are in bold above three of which are pictured below (apologies for poor quality second pic). For more info and pics from each part of the holiday, see my blog over the coming weeks.

Pic 1: Great White Egret, Ham Wall RSPB on 9th
Pic 2: Yellow-legged Gull, Costessey House Private Estate (my patch) on 18th
Pic 3: Sumplum Black-necked Grebe, Frampton Marsh RSPB, Lincs, 19th

Joseph

Attachments

• IMG_3522.JPG
    IMG_3522.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3743.JPG
    IMG_3743.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
4th) Joseph N (UK, Aberdeenshire) - 202 species
5th) Joshua B (Australia, Sydney) – 199 species
6th) Jonny721 (UK, Lancashire) - 193 species
8th) Simmojunior (UK, London) - 183 species
9th) harpyeagle1 (USA) - 177 species

Last edited:
To make sure this thread doesn't go the way of all flesh (which would be a shame for such a long standing one), has anyone got any updates?

No new birds for the year since I last posted, but have had female Surf Scoter locally, as well as Gropper, Little Gulls and an assortment of the commoner passage waders in the last couple of weeks.

Joseph

Last edited:
My yearlist has moved to 191 after a few trips including to Stodmarsh and Rainham. Highlights have included Wood Sandpiper, Ruddy Duck and Yellow-legged Gull but most the yearticks have been silly things like Lesser Whitethroat and Greenshank.

Sure haven't been on this thread in a while (or the forum, for that matter)! Well, anyway, during the months of April, May and June, my yearlist has gone way up to 119 species (my life list is 182 or so). One of the highlights of the year was seeing a White-Faced Ibis foraging at Muskegon Wastewater System. Some of the older, "seasoned" birders, including the leader of the bird trip, first named it a Glossy Ibis, but I contradicted, saying it was a White-Faced Ibis instead (I'm only 15). Upon further studying of the bird and field guides, all birders decided to call it a White-Faced Ibis, which is a big rarity for Southwest Michigan. Some other highlights this year was seeing an immature male Orchard Oriole, Pine Warbler on the same birding trip of the White-Faced Ibis, and an American Wigeon seen at a pond on the same road I live on.
I think I've earned a lot of respect from the older birders as they see me calling out birds (everyone was hearing an Indigo Bunting, but couldn't find it till I spotted it at the top of a tree in the distance), writing down notes and species and telling them about uncommon birds I see in my own backyard (I seem to live in a warbler migration pitstop as every year I get a big flock of warblers moving through for two to three days). It sure is nice though to have more knowledgable birders on a trip, because some birds I normally pass up because I couldn't ID them are a piece of cake to others!
Happy Birding!

(July has seemed to be my "non-birding" month, as the heat then soared into the 100's and made birding the last thing on my list to do. Now I'm mad with myself for missing all that birding! Ah well!)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back