• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (17 Viewers)

The sad story of the rarest mammal in the World

The Last Two The Battle to Save the Northern White Rhinos

scheduled for August 2023

Meet Najin and Fatu – the last of the northern white rhinos – as well as the scientists, conservationists, and rangers who are fighting for the species' survival.

The last two remaining northern white rhinos, an already functionally extinct species, are kept behind three electrical fences and protected by a squad of rangers at the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya. Their names are Najin and Fatu. Both are descended from the last male northern white rhino, Sudan. Najin is his daughter, while Fatu is his granddaughter. Along with Sudan and another male named Suni, they were transferred to Kenya in 2009, in the hope that returning them to their natural habitat might help them regain their zest for life and reproduction. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan.

With the deaths of Sudan and Suni, the northern white rhinos' destiny is now in the hands of their Kenyan caretakers and a team of scientists at the BioRescue international consortium, which is developing and using several different techniques to resurrect the species, including assisted reproduction and stem cell research. The plan is to insert northern white rhino embryos into southern white rhino surrogate mothers as soon as possible. There is a real chance the first "new" northern white rhino baby will be born in late 2023.

Will science prevail, or is it too late? Journalists Boštjan and Maja Videmšek explore this question by taking readers on a journey through the history of the northern white rhinos. They introduce the rangers, conservationists, and scientists fighting for the future of the northern white rhinos and dissect what led the species to the brink of extinction, from wars and climate change to poaching and the black market. The Last Two offers hope for the future of the environment and the fight to save the many species that call Earth home.

There will be a new edition of The Life of Birds by David Attenborough in November 2023

The fishes will also got their Eponym Dictionary

Eponym Dictionary of Fishes​

by Bo Beolens, Michael Grayson and Michael Watkins

scheduled for May 2023

After a comprehensive book about the kakapo (which is unfortunately out of print) there is a new book by Alison Ballance this time on the takahe.

Takahē: Bird Of Dreams

If you are interested in primatology this book might be interesting:

An Illustrated History of Primatology​

By: Matthew Richardson

scheduled for September 2024

And finally the 4th edition of the Strahan's Mammals of Australia is on the way :

Our edition of this mighty book went to press TODAY. Publishing UK 23 November, US 5 March.

I have the New Holland edition and it's great, well worth having the update

I've ordered the New Holland edition too but unfortunately somewhat went wrong with the German Package Delivery Service and the package went back to Australia. This sucks brutally. Well I will got my money back and I will have to make a new order for this book. I could wait until late November because the Bloomsbury edition is much more affordable but I want my book copy sooner rather than later.

The sad story of the rarest mammal in the World

The Last Two The Battle to Save the Northern White Rhinos

scheduled for August 2023
I'm looking forward to it.
Meet Najin and Fatu – the last of the northern white rhinos – as well as the scientists, conservationists, and rangers who are fighting for the species' survival.

The last two remaining northern white rhinos, an already functionally extinct species, are kept behind three electrical fences and protected by a squad of rangers at the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya. Their names are Najin and Fatu. Both are descended from the last male northern white rhino, Sudan. Najin is his daughter, while Fatu is his granddaughter. Along with Sudan and another male named Suni, they were transferred to Kenya in 2009, in the hope that returning them to their natural habitat might help them regain their zest for life and reproduction. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan.

With the deaths of Sudan and Suni, the northern white rhinos' destiny is now in the hands of their Kenyan caretakers and a team of scientists at the BioRescue international consortium, which is developing and using several different techniques to resurrect the species, including assisted reproduction and stem cell research. The plan is to insert northern white rhino embryos into southern white rhino surrogate mothers as soon as possible. There is a real chance the first "new" northern white rhino baby will be born in late 2023.

Will science prevail, or is it too late? Journalists Boštjan and Maja Videmšek explore this question by taking readers on a journey through the history of the northern white rhinos. They introduce the rangers, conservationists, and scientists fighting for the future of the northern white rhinos and dissect what led the species to the brink of extinction, from wars and climate change to poaching and the black market. The Last Two offers hope for the future of the environment and the fight to save the many species that call Earth home. I love what's behind the story, and I'd love to talk about it in a lecture when the book comes out. Maybe you should go to the professionals and do a literature review online at a service like https://paperell.net/write-my-literature-review where I'm sure the authors can analyze the story in detail. In any case, it is a unique story that deserves the attention it deserves.
I was listening to a podcast on YouTube with these guys. I think it's going to be a fantastic story. upd I also ordered Plan B: How Not to Lose Hope in the Times of Climate Crisis, and I think I will read it just in time for the release of Boštjan's second book.

Last edited:
21 years after Errol Fuller's work The Great Auk – The Extinction of the Original Penguin there will be a new book on the Great Auk.

The Last of Its Kind - The Search for the Great Auk and the Discovery of Extinction

By: Gísli Pálsson

scheduled for February 2024

About this book

The great auk is one of the most tragic and documented examples of extinction. A flightless bird that bred primarily on the remote islands of the North Atlantic, the last of its kind were killed in Iceland in 1844. Gisli Palsson draws on firsthand accounts from the Icelanders who hunted the last great auks to bring to life a bygone age of Victorian scientific exploration while offering vital insights into the extinction of species.

Palsson vividly recounts how British ornithologists John Wolley and Alfred Newton set out for Iceland to collect specimens only to discover that the great auks were already gone. At the time, the Victorian world viewed extinction as an impossibility or trivialized it as a natural phenomenon. Palsson chronicles how Wolley and Newton documented the fate of the last birds through interviews with the men who killed them, and how the naturalists' Icelandic journey opened their eyes to the disappearance of species as a subject of scientific concern-and as something that could be caused by humans.

Blending a richly evocative narrative with rare, unpublished material as well as insights from ornithology, anthropology, and Palsson's own North Atlantic travels, The Last of Its Kind reveals how the saga of the great auk opens a window onto the human causes of mass extinction.

Last edited:
A rather expensive book from CSIRO Publishing

The Evolution of Dasyurid Marsupials

scheduled for January 2024

I saw from the Nokomis bookseller website that the second edition of the Field Guide to the Birds of North Queensland by Phil Gregory and Jun Matsui is apparently now in stock. I have yet to see a copy and have no information about when it was released, but it features many new and improved photographs and the text has been updated and minor errors fixed. The first edition never seemed to make it to the UK, European or American markets so I am hoping they can do better with this one......

Attachments

• Field Guide Birds North Qld cover 2023.jpg
    Field Guide Birds North Qld cover 2023.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
The companian book to the Netflix series

Life on Our Planet: A Stunning Re-Examination of Prehistoric Life on Earth​

by Tom Fletcher

scheduled for October 2023

Last edited:
There is a new book on cormorants and shags scheduled for 2023

Cormorants and Shags by David Cabot

Postponed to August 2024. And removed from the NHBS website.

William T. Cooper was one of the best bird artists of the 20th century. There will be a new book about his work in October 2023.

Hadoram Shirihai have posted some artwork on his facebook page from the long-awaited Albatrosses, Petrels and Shearwaters of the World: a handbook to their taxonomy, identification, ecology and conservation.

It will be a four volume series with the gadfly petrels up first. Followed by shearwaters (volume 2), storm-petrels (volume 3) and albatrosses (volume 4).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back