• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (1 Viewer)

My first UK lifer in a couple of years today (last was the Scilly Blue Rock Thrush) with some great views of the American Robin in Eastbourne. Have seen many across the pond in the distant past so nice to get one here!

A commoner bird for most people, but enjoyed brief but good views of 3 different bearded tits at Elmley NNR.

New lifer: Bearded tit
They are stunning birds-particularly the adult males. Great new bird for you. Still haven't connected with them for the year yet despite a long weekend in Norfolk in January & a couple of visits to Rainham RPB. Am returning to the latter site next week on what looks like a fine day-so maybe I'll be lucky?

Pink-footed Goose, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia March 14, 2022. Four birds overwintering. #592 on my ABA life list.

The odd thing is that, on paper, it is my 5th life bird of this year. I thought my life-list was up to date. However I've been going over my old checklists and photographs just last month to register my sightings with Ebird so that I can have my list there as well. Turns out that I had not been good in keeping my life list up to date. I started 2022 with 587 species having just removed the Northwestern Crow as a species. I then found my photos/records for the following species that I had forgotten to add to my life list:
#588 Cape May Warbler - Quebec, 2016
#589 Roseate Tern - Nova Scotia, 2020
#590 Little Egret - Nova Scotia 2021 (only 3 months earlier but forgot to add it)
#591 Cassin's Sparrow - Colorado, 1978

Then the only actual new species so far this year - the Pink-footed Goose.

One British, Isle of Man & Irish twitch this year for Egyptian Vulture - a species previously seen by me in a number of countries. A bird that I had missed on the Scillies & in County Donegal that was satisfying to see but may well end up not making the grade to full acceptance to the British or the Irish lists.... It will be interesting to see how the respective Committees review the lengthy stay and over-wintering of this adult.

Subsequently, a six day Spanish birding trip with friends starting in Barcelona & inland to Zaragoza & the Pyrenees yielded Dupont's Lark at El Planeron as a full Category A lifer. Some attempts at Category C WP species there yielded Red-billed Leiothrix, Red-masked Parakeet & heard only Red-whiskered Bulbul. Plenty of remaining Iberian Peninsula Category C species to see...

Last weekend, a full on WP Category C trip yielded Reeves's Pheasant in France and Black Swan, Bar-headed Goose, Alexandrine Parakeet and Vinous-throated Parrotbill in the Netherlands (where the national list does not include Category C). WP IOC list now comfortably through 800 and hoping to clear up a few more this year. Sixty plus remaining WP targets and pleased to say that only thirteen of those are Category C so hopefully a better return than the one Category A World lifer awaits in the balance of 2022... 🤞

First time to Europe since the start of the pandemic and plenty of decent non-lifer birds along the way - Bluethroat & Black Woodpecker attached. Maybe time to dust off some trip report writing.

Attachments

• Egyptian Vulture 005.jpg
    Egyptian Vulture 005.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 6
  • ACA Dupont's Lark.jpg
    ACA Dupont's Lark.jpg
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 5
  • A Red-billed Leiothrix 001.jpg
    A Red-billed Leiothrix 001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • Reeves's Pheasant 004.jpg
    Reeves's Pheasant 004.jpg
    975.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Vinous-throated Parrotbill 003.jpg
    Vinous-throated Parrotbill 003.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Bluethroat 002.jpg
    Bluethroat 002.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Black Woodpecker 002.jpg
    Black Woodpecker 002.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
At the moment my latest is snow goose, due to the three at Slimbridge seen a couple of months ago. However I'm told they disgraced themselves by still being there at the end of March, so I guess they're not going to be accepted and I need to keep looking. One day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back