• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (2 Viewers)

What should us newbie birders do about two species that are present in our area and are nearly identical?

I'm talking about the American Crow and the Fish Crow. I live in Florida, and I see crows all the time.

Can I put both on my life-list because by law of averages I think I must have seen at least one of each by now?

What should us newbie birders do about two species that are present in our area and are nearly identical?

I'm talking about the American Crow and the Fish Crow. I live in Florida, and I see crows all the time.

Can I put both on my life-list because by law of averages I think I must have seen at least one of each by now?
As people usually say on Birdforum when they don’t approve of such a suggestion “ It’s your list so it’s your rules” !!

I believe Fish Crow generally has a more “nasal” sound to it’s call…whereas American Crow has a dryer hoarser inflection. Excepting that young Am.Crows can on occasion sound higher pitched, no doubt because their voices haven’t broken….yet.😂

I wouldn't. Both species however have fairly distinctive calls, so I would familiarize yourself with their calls and use that to identify them.

Cape Gull Larus dominicanus vetula Grafham Water, Cambridgeshire, England on 7th & 8th August appears to be 815 on my Western Palearctic List as well as bumping up my more local lists. First British record.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Cape Gull profile 001.jpg
    Cape Gull profile 001.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • Kelp Gull standing 004.jpg
    Kelp Gull standing 004.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • Kelp Gull 001.jpg
    Kelp Gull 001.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Kelp Gull 010.jpg
    Kelp Gull 010.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Kelp Gull 014.jpg
    Kelp Gull 014.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Kelp Gull 020.jpg
    Kelp Gull 020.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • Kelp Gull 031.jpg
    Kelp Gull 031.jpg
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Two more in Palm Beach County, Florida, USA

Belted Kingfisher
Fish Crow

I used the bird id by sound feature of the Merlin app on my phone to confirm that the crow was a fish crow.

Last edited:
Two more in Palm Beach County, Florida, USA

Belted Kingfisher
Fish Crow

I used the bird id by sound feature of the Merlin app on my phone to confirm that the crow was a fish crow.
Here in Baltimore we used to have mainly American Crows in the summer and big flocks of (usually very quiet) Fish Crows in the winter, but when the West Nile Virus hammered the American Crows about 15 years ago, the Fish Crows largely replaced them as nesters. The "regular" Crows recovered over time (although I remain convinced that there was some hybridizing going on for a few years, as there were some rather odd caws from adults, back in the 1990s), but there still appears to be only about a 60:40 American:Fish mixture overall during the breeding season, with local variations. Anyway, I just remember the flat, nasal Fish crow "Cah" call by saying that Fish Crows are "the crow that quacks". Interestingly, my wife tells me that the Chinese term for crow means something like that..
Oh, and to avoid the sin of OT-ness, my last lifer was a Chiffchaff on a distressingly curtailed trip to Edinburgh, which featured a damaged Achilles tendon on arrival at Heathrow and subsequent reduced mobility. Luckily, the house we were staying in had a lovely back deck looking over a fairly wild stretch of forest, so at least I could watch the Wood-Pigeons, Jackdaws and Magpies, while hearing all the frustratingly discreet singers so close by. The Chiffchaff, luckily for me, got so wrapped up in its singing that it incautiously let me get a good look at it the day before we left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back