• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (1 Viewer)

Had seven lifers (so far) this year (best year for a long time):

Quail - Cholsey Barns - May 6th
Golden Oriole - Lakenheath - May 27th
Red-crested Pochard - Attenborough NR - Sept 23rd (a bit dodgy i know!)
Pec Sand - Kelling - Oct 21st (tarts tick)
White-rumped Sand - Cley - Oct 21st
YB Warbler - Holkham - Oct 21st (another tarts tick)
Long-tailed Duck - Kingsmill Res, Mansfield - Oct 23rd (long time bogey bird - very relieved, & on my local patch!)

There are curently five lifers within 20 miles of me, but unfortunately, as i dont drive, none of them are within reach:

Iceland; Glaucous & Ring-billed Gulls in Derbyshire (Carsington & Ogston)
Great Northern Diver at Trent Velly Pits (another bogey bird - hopefully get it at Snettisham before year end)
Green-winged Teal at Carsington

Grrrrr - feeling a bit frustrated!!

(cant fault the Oriole though - absolutley superb - will be going again next year for a second look / listen ("whoodulo whooo"!!!) - loved it!)

Mike

edit - dont mention Shrikes: still never seen one despite 20 years of looking! (I WILL see GG Shrike this winter!)

Last edited:
I've just had three lifers in one day! Great Northern Diver, Red-throated Diver and Red-necked Grebe, all in the Solent this afternoon. B :)

And Mike, I know exactly how you feel about shrikes. I can never get to see 'em either. :h?:

I've been birding for less than a month so I guess I still have that initial joy of adding to my life list almost every time I got out! :bounce:

My most recent addition--just this morning--was a Wood Duck.

That was my reaction when I saw it.-I laughed to myself when I saw it because I wondered if I ever came across one if I'd be able to pick it out from the others.

Ring-necked Duck at Anglezarke Reservoir on 8th Dec. Got my bearings wrong and parked an hour's walk away - there was sleet and hail on the way; then the sun came out, the drake appeared and it was all worth it!

Almost embarrassed to admit it, but a Nuthatch, today, at Binstead (near Ryde, Isle of Wight). Nuthatches are not a resident species on the Isle of Wight (they're just occasional visitors) and I've never seen one, so it was a nice addition to the list.

Vectis, early on in my birding I thought it would be great if ever I could find a Cedar Waxwing. I read up on them and asked people about them and looked for them. Then one day I finally saw one. This species is rather irregular in its movements and wander around alot. But I do see them quite often now.

It's kind of like really wanting to see a certain bird, and you really work hard at it. Then one day you see one! After that you begin to see them quite regularly. I have since sometimes heard birders mentioning this phenomenon,viz. difficult bird to get but once you see it, then it becomes easier to see.

a first

seen yesterday at carsington water a great northern diver a first for me in fact saw 2 of them but 1 was at long range the other was in the sailing club bay at about 100yrds nice bird

Shore (Horned) Lark at Creswell, Northumberland, amongst a flock of around 50 Twite on 19th December. A great birding day in ideal weather and light on the coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back