• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss conquest Gavia 85 vs kowa TSN 773 which to choose (2 Viewers)

Natureforsoul

India
Hello friends. I am from India. I am planning to buy first spotting scope.
It is very difficult to choose scope here in India as almost none of the good ones are available to see
Only Zeiss Gavia 85mm is there.
Please help decide between kowa tSN 773 vs Gavia in terms of
1) Optical quality difference
2) sturdiness 3) focusing system
4) digiscoping options
Points for me in favour of Gavia is it’s availability and 3 years warranty in India
I also thought about going for 883 but it is 850 dollar costlier so don’t one will that be so much worth it

It is very difficult to choose scope here in India as almost none of the good ones are available to see
4) digiscoping options
Points for me in favour of Gavia is it’s availability and 3 years warranty in India
I also thought about going for 883 but it is 850 dollar costlier so don’t one will that be so much worth it
Bhai saab, kowa is optically superior. Gavin did not impress me.

Thanks dear bro for your quick advice
Have u compared 773 vs 883 kowa
How much difference do u find between them
Have u done digiscoping how’s your experience with that
Thanks
I have tried 883. Gavia was not as sharp in resolution. Kowa was amazing. But Gavia will be little brighter during dark hours only. But if you want a better scope for same price , then go with Meopta S2. If you want the best of best then buy Swarovski ATX/STX but improvement over Meopta will be negligible. Swarovski excels in eyebox , build quality and customer service.

Try this store, they will ship anything to India and it will be tax free.
4) digiscoping options

Well in India you can get not just both the Zeiss Scopes, but also Swarovski, Celestron, Nikon, Vanguard, Pentax. Perhaps a few more. Scopes, binoculars, caneras, lenses. There is small but dynamic astronomy enthusiasts and astronomy telescopes, too are available. There is actually a world ( and market place) beyong Canon, Fujifilm, Olympus, Sony etc), even in India.
Leica India too would probably acknowledge an interest if approached. Advertisements of sports optics is actually minimal given the small market share (everyone is after a big camera and lens).
However compared to USA, UK and SE Asia, the variety/ range of optics is limited.
The prices at which equipment is available here is comparable to those in Europe. Yes, import duties and GST has to be figured in.
There are retailers of most major brands. Zeiss and Leica have old service operations in India given their involvement in other equipment supply - microscopes, survey equipment etc.

Arijit

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back