• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8×32 VS Leica Trinovid 8×32 HD? (1 Viewer)

Mac308

United States
Title says it all. I'm in the market for a nice set of bins for my wife. I definitely want an 8x32. I don't have the ability to compare these two, so would like to hear thought's from those that have compared them or own one or the other. Also, any other 8x32 in this price range to consider?

Forgot to add - she wears glasses.

Last edited:
Title says it all. I'm in the market for a nice set of bins for my wife. I definitely want an 8x32. I don't have the ability to compare these two, so would like to hear thought's from those that have compared them or own one or the other. Also, any other 8x32 in this price range to consider?
I've always liked the 8X32 Conquest HD AND the 8X30 Monarch HG. Both are excellent. Lately I've been using the Kowa Genesis 8X33. It may very well be the best of the three but completely splitting hairs here. Currently you can get the Kowa for $799. It works for me WITH glasses(it's close), but if she doesn't wear glasses I'd for sure go with the Kowa for the money.

IMG_2637.jpeg

Last edited:
I've always liked the 8X32 Conquest HD AND the 8X30 Monarch HG. Both are excellent. Lately I've been using the Kowa Genesis 8X32. It may very well be the best of the three but completely splitting hairs here. Currently you can get the Kowa for $799. It works for me WITH glasses(it's close), but if she doesn't wear glasses I'd for sure go with the Kowa for the money.
Chill, I must have been editing as you wrote - she does indeed wear glasses. With that in mind, which would you recommend? Still the Kowa?

Chill, I must have been editing as you wrote - she does indeed wear glasses. With that in mind, which would you recommend? Still the Kowa?
Two binoculars I can use that most eyeglasses wearers can't...Ultravid HD+ 8X32 and the Kowa Genesis 8X33. No way to really know without trying them... I have an idea... Buy both the Conquest HD and the Genesis 8X32 and return the one that doesn't work. Both are currently something like $799.00 each. You'll only be out return shipping but have a guarantee that the binocular will work for her.

Last edited:
she does indeed wear glasses. With that in mind, which would you recommend? Still the Kowa?
Hi,

The question can only be answered by your wife after trying the Kowa.
What fits one person wearing glasses may not be enough for another, it depends on many factors.

I only know the Zeiss, used it with glasses and it worked well.

In my opinion it is a very good glass, robust with good optics, the focuser works very quickly, it takes some practice.
In terms of optical quality, it is hardly behind a Zeiss Victory FL 8x32, which is still one of the best 8x32 binoculars.
The eyepiece cups aren't that great, it's a bit clamped when going up and down, but if you wear glasses the bottom step is enough.
The rubber Armour is imo also not so great it has something of the bicycle hose but is very robust and durable.
Overall, however, a very good binoculars that can make a long time pleasure.

Andreas

Vote for the conquest HD, they're sharp, tough, have great MFD and personally I really like the quick focus. My wife actually chooses them over her swaro 8x32NL's somedays. Mostly when she's looking for insects as painting inspiration. That quick focus makes them easy to follow.

Before the SFL's arrived the conquest were one of my daily go-to's even over my much more expensive "alpha" glass. I prefer the ergo's / color of the sfl's but the the Conquests still hold their own.

*Also, worth noting, I am a glasses wearer and get along great with the zeiss.

-Zach

I've tried Conquest HD 8x32 several times (never owned it), owned the MHG 8x30 and currently own the Trinovid HD 8x32. I've never tried a Kowa Genesis. I like the Conquest very much and it seemed to work fine with my glasses the times I've tried it. The MHG is a very nice binocular, but I always felt it had just barely enough eye relief for me. Trinovid HD works very well for me with my glasses with 17mm ER. I've always avoided the Genesis out of concern it wouldn't have enough usable ER for me and I've seen too many reports about it having a 'stiff' focus which I don't prefer.

I'm very happy with the Trinovid HD. It has been all around a great bino for me.

I would recommend the Conquest HD or the Trinovid HD for your wife. The Trinovid has a narrower FOV compared to the others if that matters to her. If she prefers small and light weight definitely try the Nikon MHG. that's my 2 cents.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32: 643 g, close focus 1,6 m, FOV 140m/1000m, light transmission 89% at 500 nm-91,5% at 550 nm, eye relief 18 mm. That is what I could find in our data.
Gijs van Ginkel

Compare, compare, compare. Not a big fan of the new Trinovids after comparing side by side to Conquests and HGs but to each their own. If you can get your hands on a pair of the previous generation Trinovids they are a superb glass. They also cost a lot more than the new Trinovids and there’s a reason. Leica dumbed down the new HD version so they wouldn’t compete with the Ultravids.

Last edited:
Also as noted before the Trinovid HD 8x32 has a much more narrow fov than the Conquest. 372’ vs 420’. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a 8x glass.

Last edited:
Also as noted before the Trinovid HD 8x32 has a much more narrow fov than the Conquest. 372’ vs 420’. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a 8x glass.
Spoken like a true 10x user.
As to the 2011-15 Trinovid, it's not relevant here being only 42mm, but was certainly an intriguing model on which opinions continue to differ. I got all excited about its lower pincushioning as a possible new direction for Leica (which didn't pan out... new direction? Leica?) but otherwise the view is frankly a bit dull compared to UVHD+, although the build quality is identical. It was a good buy at the closeout price of $1k, less so at the original 1.5.

Compare, compare, compare. Not a big fan of the new Trinovids after comparing side by side to Conquests and HGs but to each their own. If you can get your hands on a pair of the previous generation Trinovids they are a superb glass. They also cost a lot more than the new Trinovids and there’s a reason. Leica dumbed down the new HD version so they wouldn’t compete with the Ultravids.
Interesting how we all see things so differently. I owned the MHG 8x30 and compared it with the Trinovid HD 8x32. I found the Leica to have a more transparent image, slightly better resolution and a better color balance (all IMO). But of course the FOV is bigger in the Nikon and it’s also small and light weight and these are great features; it’s all around a very nice little bino. I replaced my Nikon MHG with a Swaro CL (original version) because I like the build and colors a bit more. I enjoyed the MHG while I had it. So now my compact bino is the CL.

Conquest HD 8x32 is awesome. I came close to buying it a few times. I’m more of a Leica fan though. But I avoided the TVid HD 8x32 for years due to its specs especially the narrow FOV. My CL and TVid have the same FOV (372ft). I’ve gotten used to it. Can’t blame others for wanting to go a with larger FOV. It certainly can be helpful in the field. I just put a bit more importance on other aspects I prefer in a binocular.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by spoken like a true 10x user. I use both but an 8x that has a fov nearly as narrow as a 10x isn’t what I want. I like the immersive view an 8x with a wide fov gives. That’s why I have 8x with a wide fov.

Not sure what you mean by spoken like a true 10x user. I use both but an 8x that has a fov nearly as narrow as a 10x isn’t what I want. I like the immersive view an 8x with a wide fov gives. That’s why I have 8x with a wide fov.
It seems that due to the tendency for higher mags to have more AFOV, it's generally 10x users like me who complain about typical 8x (not to mention 7x!) bins not having the FOV they'd expect to get for the trade-off in magnification, whereas others seem just fine with it. So my own 8x is wide one too (E II) because I wouldn't really see the point of 8x otherwise. I think we're saying exactly the same thing here.

I wish I could hold 10x more steady. I’d have a 10x40/42 if the image wasn’t so shaky.

I do wish Leica gave the TVid at least 400ft FOV. Most people will choose Conquest HD since it offers a nice wide FOV. The close focus is nice in the TVid but I’d still rather have a bit wider FOV with a 6ft close focus. Both Conquest and TVid are relatively big, bulky and heavy for 32mm. I find the size of TVid fine because the ergonomics are good. I’d like the weight to be reduced 2-3 ounces but I don’t find the weight to be unmanageable. I also thought its narrow IPD range might be an issue but it works fine; I have 59mm IPD.
Overall TVid specs looks bad compared to Conquest 8x32 but in use I don’t have any problems to speak of.

back to color balance: back when I had an Ultravid HD+ (7x42) I compared it to Swaro CL 8x30 (1st gen). The Uvid looked ‘dramatic’ in comparison with a noticeable warmer bias while the CL colors looked more natural/ neutral to me. Fast forward to least year when i acquired Trinovid HD and another CL 8x30 (1st gen again); TVid looks to have a slightly better color accuracy while the Swaro CL looks a bit colder (blue-green) in comparison. I can only assume Leica’s new AR coatings make the color balance less warm by removing some yellow. As a result I feel the image has a nice transparency to it; clarity seemed slightly better to me compared to Monarch HG 8x30. This is a small difference but enough for me to notice. maybe it’s just psychological and I prefer the colors through the Trinovid. But overall the TVid image looks better to me than the original CL and MHG.

Last edited:
I have both the Leica 10x42s 2012-2015 and the HDs, I am very sure I am not missing anything compared to other 10x42s.
Cannot go wrong with either the Conquest or Trinovid in 8x32, just a matter of preference.

Last edited:
There is an FL8x32 in the classifieds.
Worth a punt, maybe a good cheeky offer ??
If it works, they are an awesome bino, if not, move it on, no real loss.
I would rather have an FL than a Conquest or Kowa.
And it will hold value.
Superb binocular (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back