• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra ED: First Look (1 Viewer)

The Zeiss Terra ED was released o/a June 1st 2013. Since that time Eagle Optics has received 30 5 Star rated reviews on the 8x42. It is currently in "out of stock" status at Eagle Optics.

Who says that name recognition doesn't pay!!! :loveme:

Brock,
You make it sound like Bob and I are "too easy to please" I have had some binoculars that I did not like.Pentax 20x60 PCF WP the one that was on sale a few years ago, it had bad resolution in the right side, my better eye, if it had been the left side I might of lived with it. The only reason I got rid of the Nikon 8x32LX was the weight and I wanted another Nikon 8x32SE. I almost had another 7x30 but didn't want to sell the 8SE. I am not doing that again. I am sure I would like the Zeiss Terra, fast focuser.

Well, nobody would like a Pentax 20x60 with bad resolution in one barrel except apparently the guy you sold it to. ;)

After getting the 20 oz. 8x30 SLCneu, I could see why you would get rid of the 24.5 oz 8x30 LX. I didn't find it too heavy, but I couldn't hold the bin comfortably because those large protruding strap lug housings near the EPs pushed my hands too far forward, and even with the Bushwackers, I ran out of bin before I ran out of hand. Plus the less than 1/2 turn from cf to ∞ focuser. I also wasn't too thrilled about the amount of astigmatism at the top of the view.

The fact that you would say that you're sure you would like the Zeiss Terra's fast focuser without having tried it proves my point about you being "easy to please." To me, the Terra ED was even harder to focus with than the 8x32 LX.

Plus, like Bob, the fact that you are not bothered by "rolling ball," "rolling BOWL," chromatic aberration, a harder to to turn in one direction Swaro focuser, a coarse takes two fingers to turn in one direction Swaro focuser, image blackouts from the SE (or at least not after developing the MOLCET with Bob), the front "pinky focuser" on your 8x30 SLCneu, and can comfortably hold any kind of bin without problems even with your small George Castanza hands furthers my case! :smoke:

The only exception I've seen so far was you being unable to use the Vixen 7x50 Foresta w/out image blackouts, and that's probably because I had the Swaro eyecups on it. Had you used the original VIxen eyecups, which are two wide for my narrow eye orbits, you would have been able to use the MOLCET with your flat facial features and would have had no problems.

So out of all the bins you've owned, excepting the Pentax since it was a bad sample, the only one you didn't like was the 8x32 LX because it was too heavy. I'd say that's "easy to please."

The list of bins that pleased me is a rather short by comparison to all those you tried or owned:

Nikon SE series (though I do have issues with the large diameter eyecups)

Nikon EII series (wish I had the BB model with the better armoring)

Nikon 8x30 M7

Nikon 10x42 Prostaff 7

Swaro 10x42 SLC-HD (focuser was a bit hard to turn in one direction, but I could have lived with it)

Swaro 8x32 EL WB (original series)

That's out of 40+ bins that I've either owned or tried.

Brock

I don't know much about binoculars and I don't want to be an expert, I just want to use the miserable things. Having that in mind, the Terra's focuser is the best characteristic I found on it. It seems that I can always find an accurate focus point with the first try and on the fly, while I have to try twice or more with my "slow" Canons IS and Pentax Papilio. It feels not stiff and not loose, just perfect. It is big enough to use with any finger I wish.
I don't say that it is the best or that everybody might find it perfect, just that it tuned with my brain immediately.
I would ask for wider AFOV eyepieces, elimination of spikes on bright objects and a wider sweet spot (it already is wide but one can always hope for more) but I would keep the focuser.
Perhaps a tunable friction focuser (with a kind of an Allen key) or a double focuser might find it's way in binoculars sometime. They are standard to 200 euros astronomy telescopes for some years now, so, why not?

I tried the Terra out yesterday. I didnt see a lot of problem. Like an accelerator pedal on an auto, there are more settings than either all the way to the floor or idle. So when handling binocs are fast focusing, I just slow my finger down. Seems to work great, they focus slower if you move your finger slower. ;)

Brock I either use my ring [right hand] finger or middle finger for the Swaro 8x30 SLC neu, never pinky finger. Even with larger hands there is room to use ring finger. As far as the Pentax 20x60 I left that person use the binocular for quite some time two;) make sure he liked it ok. I will say I do miss the fast focuser on the little LX and the eyecups were not two big for my eye sockets.:gh:

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can get an Orange (or Yellow) colored Terra ?
Thanks
Lapprentis

The old Henry Ford Promise::-O:-O:-O Zeiss has taken it to heart! But when it first came out Zeiss was showing them in their factories in China being made in a number of colors.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."

Remark about the Model T in 1909, published in his autobiography "My Life And Work," by Henry Ford.

-------------------------------------------------------------

AFAIK the only color you can get with the Terra ED in North America is Black!

Recently someone from the British Isles posted a picture of one here that was not Black so they may be available in Europe.

Good Luck! ;)

Last edited:
Because black was the fastest drying color!!!

Since the Terra is only available in (Zeiss) blue, grey and black, you gonna have to pimp your bin, which is not so difficult on a rubber armor.

Jan

Well I am getting more adventurous. I've only just broken a run of 10 in various shades of grey with a moss green. Am I ready for orange? I'll have to give that some thought.:smoke:

David

I wanted a black but was ready to accept grey. All they had in Athens was blue and I am happy with it because it is much better in real life.

Helpful thread

I'll be testing out the Ziess Terra and the Nikon Monarch 5 on Monday for myself but I was glad to have found this thread in order to narrow down my options. I'm relatively new to birding and we to this forum. I want to get a 10x42 bino that will last me at least 5-7 years. Thanks or helping me make an informed decision!

I'll be testing out the Ziess Terra and the Nikon Monarch 5 on Monday for myself but I was glad to have found this thread in order to narrow down my options. I'm relatively new to birding and we to this forum. I want to get a 10x42 bino that will last me at least 5-7 years. Thanks or helping me make an informed decision![/QUOTE

Hi ChemNerd,

I am confident that either of the binoculars you mention will last even longer than 5-7 years given reasonable care even if you use them daily; as long as you don't expose them to undue abuse.

I have the Terra ED. It certainly will last that long.

Bob

Last edited:
I'll be testing out the Ziess Terra and the Nikon Monarch 5 on Monday for myself but I was glad to have found this thread in order to narrow down my options. I'm relatively new to birding and we to this forum. I want to get a 10x42 bino that will last me at least 5-7 years. Thanks or helping me make an informed decision![/QUOTE

Hi ChemNerd,

I am confident that either of the binoculars you mention will last even longer than 5-7 years given reasonable care even if you use them daily; as long as you don't expose them to undue abuse.

I have the Terra ED. It certainly will last that long.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks, I tested them out in the store today and they were quite nice compared to my $30 Bushnell pair. I noticed it only comes with a thin felt case but I read that one can get a better case by paying postage to Zeiss. How is this done and what is the case like?

Hi Bob,

Thanks, I tested them out in the store today and they were quite nice compared to my $30 Bushnell pair. I noticed it only comes with a thin felt case but I read that one can get a better case by paying postage to Zeiss. How is this done and what is the case like?

CN

I got my 8x42 Terra ED shortly after it came out and didn't get the case until later because they weren't ready for distribution. It is very much like the Cordura case on my 7x42 Victory FL. Well made and tough. See my posts at #68 and #99 in response to #98 for more information on how to get it.

I don't know if the procedure to get it from Zeiss has changed since then.

Eagle optics is selling the TerraED now "with free field case from Eagle Optics." This might be their own case and if so it would be similar to the Zeiss case. You can look at it in their accessories section.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-terra-ed-8x42-binocular

It has 34 reviews there which average 5 stars if you want to review them.

It is an excellent binocular for its price.

Bob

P. S. Here is a picture of the case. It looks just like the one I got from Zeiss.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocula...ptics/eagle-optics-ranger-42mm-binocular-case

Im thinking of purchasing the Zeiss Terra ED 10 x 42 from a company in the states, via that well known auction website ;) - So my question is, would the warranty be upheld in the U.K..? if anything went wrong with them..?

Im thinking of purchasing the Zeiss Terra ED 10 x 42 from a company in the states, via that well known auction website ;) - So my question is, would the warranty be upheld in the U.K..? if anything went wrong with them..?

I can't answer that but I wonder if the VAT would apply?

Hello milord

I think that Zeiss' UK agent would have the answer, which is probably no.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back