• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory FL 10x42 older with coating damage (2 Viewers)

Woen

Netherlands
Hi there,

Since I found this forum I just keep posting questions, so much knowloedge here. Hope you don't mind.

I found a green Zeiss Victory FL 10x42 with some coating damage. Is such a binoculair repairable by Zeiss? And say one could get it voor not to much, is it worth it?

Some coating damage is sort of a general description. Is it on one lens or both?, objective lens or ocular lens or both?. Have you looked at/through the glass yourself or are you reading a description on the net?
In general Zeiss will repair at no cost a manufacturers defect, usually internal, however the coating issue (external) would require a lens replacement, the cost likely would be the responsibility of the owner.
The FL 10X42 is an excellent 10X42 however, so depending on overall cost/purchase/repair, it could be worth it.

As far as I can see it's on one objective lens. But I haven't had the chance to look through it. It's al from a internet description and I'm asking for some clear photo's/description of the damage.

Would be great to 'save' a binoculair but hard to tell at what cost.

It would also be good to know if there is any evidence of leakage of moisture into the internals such as the dreaded fungus, (I would ask). Zeiss will not service/repair any glass with glass impacted with fungus. Cover your bases.
If it is only one lens (coating loss) the cost would not be too much, but that would depend what you purchase them for.

It would also be good to know if there is any evidence of leakage of moisture into the internals such as the dreaded fungus, (I would ask). Zeiss will not service/repair any glass with glass impacted with fungus. Cover your bases.
If it is only one lens (coating loss) the cost would not be too much, but that would depend what you purchase them for.
Any guess what a good price would be for such a binocular without funghi?

I just had these done in the US (us warranty) so there was some focus mechanism issues that required them to open the binocular, so the labor to replace the lenses was included in the warranty. Around $215 for two oculars with lotuTec without the labor. I would imagine the Objective is slightly more than half of $215 if that makes sense.

I would pass on that one. It will cost you too much for new lenses. Look for a nice one, you will then enjoy it without regret.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back