• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zuiko Digital 50-200 mm 1/2.8 - 3.5 SWD (2 Viewers)

Three excellent portrait shots Cristian. Very nice colours too. It's good to know the lens is versatile enough to have other applications if the birds are too far away.

Ron

The shots from the post #60 are taken in rather difficult conditions (a very strong direct light and snow/ice reflections, or in the swadow with a brighter backgorund for the second one). I used ISO 200, f7.1. In a proper light you'll have better results.

I have finally given in to temptation and bought one one of these lenses. It arrived safely a few minutes ago and is sitting here in its huge box. It is certainly a very substantial piece of kit. I was nudged into buying one by the £60 Olympus Cash Back offer which expires at the end of the month and a good price from Argos.

I am looking forward to trying it on the camera tonight and will be interested to see if it fits my Think Tank holster, although I think that is a bit optimistic. I like using a holster with a belt as it takes the weight off my shoulders and stops the camera and binoculars bumping into each other. I intend to use it with the tripod mount removed, which will save a little weight. I am still not sure whether to get a protection filter or not. The lens is quite well protected by the enormous hood but I have had the lens cap come off my 70-300 when it is in the bag with the hood reversed and I wouldn't want that to damage the front element on the new lens.

I am still not sure whether it was a wise decision to buy one or not but looking at Cristian's excellent photos has convinced me that it is capable of some excellent results with the EC-14. I hope I haven't wasted my money!

Ron

Hi Ron, and congratulations on the new lens. I knew you were thinking about going for one of these lenses, and was considering sending you a PM, but it seems I am too late! I notice that the Argos price is about £800, so with £50 cash back you must have paid about £750, which is what I paid 18 months ago.

As you might know I bought into the Canon system with a 40D and 100-400 zoom recently, as I was a bit frustrated with the lack of reach and rather limited range of lenses for Olympus cameras (no problems about the quality of the glass though, and the 50-200 with EC-14 is about the same as my Canon at 350mm, in both reach and sharpness). A 400mm zoom or prime, with the option of a converter, and a Sigma 150mm macro were my 'target' lenses for birding and butterflying, so now I'm quite happy.

The main reason I'm saying this, as you've probably guessed, is that I can't justify keeping both systems going, and was reluctantly thinking about advertising the Olympus lens for sale. I suppose I would be prepared to let it go to a good home for about £550. It's still in mint condition as I've hardly used it since I had the lens replaced by Olympus in June. PM me if you are interested, as I believe you still have a right to return the new lens if you bought by mail order.

all the best,

Steve

By the way Ron, regarding filters, I bought a Kenko digital protector with the Olympus lens when I bought it, and didn't notice much deterioration with it. Then when I bought the Canon lens, I bought a B+W filter to go on that lens. I've done some testing at various apertures with both lenses, with and without filters, and can conclude that the B+W filter causes noticeably less image degradation than the KenKo, though both cost around £40. Worth considering if you do buy one. B+W filters have a very good reputation in the photography world.

Last edited:
I tried the new lens on my camera last night. It is certainly much quicker and quieter when focusing than the 70-300. I tried a few shots indoors, using the flash and they looked veryy sharp. However, it much bigger and heavier than the 70-300 and my arms were starting to ache after about 20 minutes.

I originally bought my Olympus gear because it was lighter and more compact than most of the alternatives. Buying the E-30 eroded some of that advantage and the 50-200 does so even more. The camera, lens and converter weigh a total of 1820g. This compares with 1980g for a Canon 50D and 400 f5.6. Other people seem to cope with that combination all right but it seems heavy to me.

I would also need a larger holster case, which is about £50 and a new filter would cost another £40. I am therefore debating whether to keep it or return it (it has to be unused to do this). I keep changing my mind every few minutes and was awake at 4 o'clock this morning mulling it over. It's a great lens but there is no point owning it if I don't want to take it out with me.

Decisions, decisions!

By the way, Steve. My present filter is a B+W clear protection one and I have been very impressed with it.

Ron

Decision made. I returned the lens to the store for a refund this afternoon. I feel much happier now. It's a superb lens but not right for my needs and it's a lot of money if you are not 100 percent sure. Back to the good old 70-300. :t:

Ron

Decision made. I returned the lens to the store for a refund this afternoon. I feel much happier now. It's a superb lens but not right for my needs and it's a lot of money if you are not 100 percent sure. Back to the good old 70-300. :t:

Ron

Blimey Ron! A bit drastic, but I admire your determination to return it if it was not for you. Lots of us suffer from G.A.S (gear acquisition syndrome) but most of us live with the buyers remorse and have cupboards stuffed full of gear we hardly use any more to show for our weakness!

Perhaps in a few days you will start to suffer from returner's remorse, or maybe you'll just enjoy spending the money on something else? or even leave it in the bank and enjoy seeing the interest build, ready for a rainy day!!

Cheers,

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back