• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Lemnos and Chios (1 Viewer)

davidg

After spending the last two summer holidays in Lesvos we're looking at trying one of the neighbouring islands this year - probably Lemnos or Chios. Anybody ever been or can anyone suggest where I might find birding info for these islands?

Many thanks,

David

Hi David.

Have you thought of trying Skopelos or Skiathos. They have a great wealth of birds. They don't possess the wetland of Lesbos. But.
Skopelos is mountainous with extensive pine forest (greenest island in Greece). They have the rare birds like Eleonorers Falcon and Adouins Gull.
You can walk down Papadiamantis Street in Skiathos town at night and look up where you can see Eleonoras Falcon using the lights from the streets to catch and feed on the insects flying round. Take a walk through some of the endless pathways on Skopelos and watch Bee Eaters, Blue Rock Thrushes, Hoopoes or walk up some of the mountain tracks and again look up and in the same thermals you can see Ravens, Eagles, Buzzards and Falcons.
These are just some of the fantastic birds you can see on these islands, the list is enormous. I am going to Skopelos in February, I will try and list some that are overwintering there. March/April are the better months for migrating species.

Pan:t:

Hi David.

Have you thought of trying Skopelos or Skiathos. They have a great wealth of birds. They don't possess the wetland of Lesbos. But.
Skopelos is mountainous with extensive pine forest (greenest island in Greece). They have the rare birds like Eleonorers Falcon and Adouins Gull.
You can walk down Papadiamantis Street in Skiathos town at night and look up where you can see Eleonoras Falcon using the lights from the streets to catch and feed on the insects flying round. Take a walk through some of the endless pathways on Skopelos and watch Bee Eaters, Blue Rock Thrushes, Hoopoes or walk up some of the mountain tracks and again look up and in the same thermals you can see Ravens, Eagles, Buzzards and Falcons.
These are just some of the fantastic birds you can see on these islands, the list is enormous. I am going to Skopelos in February, I will try and list some that are overwintering there. March/April are the better months for migrating species.

Pan:t:

Thanks Pan - 2 more islands for the 'to be visited' list!

David

Lemnos and Chios

Hi David.
Wonder if you went ahead with your trip to Lemnos or Chios or if you got any info about these islands.
Would be very interested in any info you have as I have often considered a birding trip here myself.
Regards, Richard.

Hi Richard,

I'm afraid getting any information on birding on Greek islands that aren't Lesvos seems rather difficult. There seems to be little published information and few responses on forums such as this; hopefully this means the islands are relatively unexplored by birders and all sorts of things wait to be discovered! Unfortunately it also means that in the average 2-3 week family holiday you're quite likely to miss good locations simply because you don't know they're there - for instance, I defy anyone to find the Kalloni inland lake on Lesvos without someone giving them directions!
I'm now going to eastern Crete this year - and no, I can't find any birding information here, either - but still intend to visit Chios, Limnos and various other Greek islands in coming years!

Good luck,

David

Thanks Richard,

I'd seen the Chios website and as you mention it is very basic. Thanks also for suggesting the Stephanie Coghlan book, I actually have it on order but am not hoping for too much as various reviews I've read are pretty luke-warm. Most of the birding information for Crete seems to be for the west of the island so, of course, we've decided to go to the east!

Regards,

David

I found the Stephanie C book very frustrating on my trip to Crete a few years ago ... and Crete v poor for migrants in the first two weeks of May. Rather a shortage of good coastal habitat, though the mountain birding was quite enjoyable.

Sean

We went to Skiathos a few years ago and our total bird tally was about 5!!! Luckily, it wasn't a birding holiday so we weren't too disappointed. And if we had known beforehand, we would have hired a 4-wheel drive as any road leading from the main road was very bad - full of stones & boulders etc..

............. but it really is a lovely island.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Unfortunately none of mine are birding holidays - we go where non-birding wife and children can vegetate on a beach or by the pool and where I can disappear early mornings and late afternoons to get some birding in. I've been lucky sometimes (Lesvos and Naxos) and unlucky at others (Pelopponese) - let's hope I strike it lucky again in Crete!

David

For what it's worth, I go to Greece at least once a year (conferences/archaeological site visits, easter to late summer); though I would still put myself in the beginner's category re. birding, and am yet to visit Lesbos, I have had some success with islands. On Mykonos/Delos in August, Eleonora's falcons seemed quite numerous and easy to spot, along with Crested Larks. I was on Aegina (Saronic Gulf) in March, and saw plenty of White Storks and some interesting warblers (Subalpine, Sardinian, for instance). I was travelling through Greece this August, and even from buses I was on I managed to see Lesser Grey Shrikes perched on wires, herons, and various eagles. During a stay in Ioannina I had the good fortune to see large numbers of Lesser Kestrels passing overhead every evening. Each time I've been to Athens recently, I've seen hoopoes and alpine swifts.
As such, it seems to me that if you go to relatively unpopulated areas (or even populated ones), your chances of seeing interesting birds pretty much anywhere in Greece should be high. Islands on migration routes should increase the tally further.
D

Last edited:
A couple of (relatively poor quality) shots

Attachments

• EleonorasFalconDelos copy.jpg
    EleonorasFalconDelos copy.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 138
  • LesserKestrel copy.jpg
    LesserKestrel copy.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 145
After spending the last two summer holidays in Lesvos we're looking at trying one of the neighbouring islands this year - probably Lemnos or Chios. Anybody ever been or can anyone suggest where I might find birding info for these islands?

Many thanks,

David

David,

My wife and I are also seeking info on Chios. If we come across any, or if you, we will share. We will arrive June 11 for 4-5 days of birding. Maybe we cold meet up w you then, and go together??

Jerry Kruth [email protected]

David,

My wife and I are also seeking info on Chios. If we come across any, or if you, we will share. We will arrive June 11 for 4-5 days of birding. Maybe we cold meet up w you then, and go together??

Jerry Kruth [email protected]

Hi Jerry,

I never did make it to Chios but it's still near the top of my list of islands to visit. I had one report of Pelinaeon Mountain as a good birding area, but no further detail. I'd be very interested to hear how you get on so please post back when you return.

Have a good trip,

David

If its a birding holiday u want go to the Evros Delta,with its close proximity with the Dadia National Forest(which must be the No 1 place in Europe for raptors) i don`t think it can be beat.I have travelled exstensivly in Greece but always end up back there.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back