• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wot says I, no Parti? No Party! (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

On Saturday as related on Johns Mammals 2008 I blew my entire stock of brownie points including probably the next three years' accumulation, on a failure of a trip to Norfolk to see a roosting Parti-coloured Bat that had come "in off". Fair enuffski, I thought, everybody dips once in a while.

Yesterday I googled to see if any of the photos noted as having been taken had made it to the web, and came up with an article in some Norfolk rag with the story and a photo of the actual bat in situ. By the time I had finished reading I was incandescent (not a word to use lightly for fear of mis-spelling) and have since come up with more and more reasons to be annoyed.

Bats Need Friends. Seen it on car stickers, and it is undoubtedly true. More or less all of the sixteen British breeding species are in trouble for a selection of reasons.

Destruction of the countryside. Grubbing up hedgerows disrupts patrol routes (bats follow lines of cover) and removes reservoirs of prey. Felling woodlands removes breeding sites and more hunting habitat. Most inexcusably, the guardians of the remaining green stuff increasingly "tidy up" the countryside, removing old and rotting trees for health and safety reasons. Health and safety? Can we not afford the risk of losing a few of our sixty-five million humans in order to make space for a few hundred thousand struggling bats?

Sealing of our own environment. Better sealed buildings with fewer gaps for bats to get under eaves, less tolerance of those already there, concreting over entrances to - well, everything, really, for fear again of hurt to one of those more-pernicious-than-rats hairless apes.

Insecticides applied on industrial scale to crop monocultures remove vast quantities of potential prey from the environment. Today I can drive across Britain overnight or during the day with a bare minimum use of screen wash, where thirty years ago the accumulation of insect body fluids drying on the windscreen would eventually force a stop and wipe by cloth regardless of use of screenwash and wipers.

Bats need friends. They have an unsavoury reputation among many of the public: they are active "during those hours when the powers of evil are exalted" (I'm re-reading Hound of the Baskervilles), some consider them flying rats, there is the whole Dracula thing, their wings are leathery and their colours subdued, they will chitter and leave droppings in your loft and so on.

I've been on a few bat trips now, both guided walks and box checks: and the majority of those offering such services are informative, helpful, eager to convey their enthusiasm and the conservation message, and recognise the natural alliance between active conservationists and those who spectate on wildlife either occasionally, desultorily or, like me and many of you, relentlessly. One thing noted not by me but others, however, is the extent to which bat people stuff the law down your throat, entirely unlike the approach of even the least compromising of RSPB wardens.

All of this, however, is more or less irrelevant to a vagrant bat, making no more than a pit stop in an abandoned public-access WWII pillbox on the North Norfolk coast.

News broke progressively and I left the wedding I was attending only after the service - but before the reception of course! By then the promise was of an organised viewing at dusk. Bloody good. I've had organised viewings of bats, a licensed batter brings the thing round, points out ID criteria, permits photography and everyone from a grockle who saw an interesting ad in the paper to a rabid lister like me gets a fascinating experience THAT THEY TAKE TO OTHER PEOPLE AND SPREAD A FAVOURABLE MESSAGE ABOUT AN ANIMAL THAT NEEDS FRIENDS!

Try googling "Parti-coloured Bat in Norfolk" and read the article. It has a photograph of the actual bat, and the name of the photographer is suppressed. Unusual, normally a photo-credit for gripping purposes is welcome. It is also made clear that the reason the bat went missing between 1800 and 1810 is because it was removed by a batter.

The facts are bare, but there are some indications. I think we may draw a few inferences.

Whoever removed that bat walked in without obvious gear such as nets, plucked the bat off the wall by hand, stuffed it in a cloth bag and walked out past the crowd on the beach without saying anything. So much for an organised viewing at dusk. The bat was removed with about an hour to go till dusk after it had spent the afternoon roosting quite contentedly.

It is suggested it was removed to prevent disturbance. By all accounts people had been in and out of the pillbox all afternoon, taking pix, and the bat hadn't moved an inch. It is one hundred percent clear that it was undisturbed in actual fact if not legal definition.

Now I come to my personal circumstances, which in relation to ticking and bat welfare don't matter a Mohne. At 1800 I was still travelling away from the wedding and towards Kelling. I had over an hour to go. If the son of a lipsticked pit bull that removed the bat had at least had the common decency to mention the fact so a pager message was issued I could have turned round immediately and been back at the party at least two and maybe three hours earlier than I actually was. Others who travelled considerable distances to dip could also have turned around.

It is fair to say also that RBA (other information services are available), who provide a service that I trust to an extraordinary extent, have been badly let down by someone over this. If there was no intention to organise a viewing, why was it announced there would be? If the plan was changed, when, by whom, and why was it not announced?

I am all in favour of bat conservation and many of the people involved in it. But this harks back to the worst days of conservation arrogance. Bats need friends. Only an idiot alienates those who already are friends of bats. Bird reserves have learned that there is conservation gold in twitchers. Some even notice that it is the interested birder who acts as the ambassador for conservation. However an alliance has partners, and just now I don't feel like one. I suspect that there may be some weird bat ringing-tick thing going on, or at least a form of one-upmanship or plain selfishness. It sure has nothing to do with bat welfare. Bat might have flown out early and been picked off by a raptor? Raptors have to eat something, that might have saved a British endangered individual something. What a load of (insert own choice here).

I can only suggest that if you find a rare bat that has no conservation significance (indeed some still argue that vagrants cannot be a loss to the species as they are doing it wrong already) and you want to share your good fortune, do not under any circumstances tell anyone in the bat world. Keep it to the birding community.

John

Perhaps the bat was removed to provide a specimen? (cf green darner in Devon?)

I hear via the grapevine that the "organized viewing" story was concocted to reduce disturbance to the bat during the day. A number of locals got great views / photos of the bat in the pill box before it shuffled out of sight.

Who was the abductee? Anyone know? I think we should be told...

alan

I dont see why news of a day roosting mammal that needs rest after a long migration should have been put out in the day in the first place?! Surely it should have been put out at a decent time just before dusk so that people could go down with bat detectors and see it emerge naturally. Even then if it was disturbed it would have been at a better time of day for the bat itself.

Gareth

I dont see why news of a day roosting mammal that needs rest after a long migration should have been put out in the day in the first place?! Surely it should have been put out at a decent time just before dusk so that people could go down with bat detectors and see it emerge naturally. Even then if it was disturbed it would have been at a better time of day for the bat itself.

Gareth

Very nice. That way people like me and my friends Steve and Karen, all of whom covered 150 miles to try to see this bat, could have been nicely excluded. Thank you very much.

As I pointed out the bat was resting, it is clear from the accounts of people on the spot that it was not disturbed one iota by new arrivals popping in for a quick look and popping out again. The bat had made a long sea crossing in broad daylight so had it felt threatened in any way it would surely have gone elsewhere.

The question needs to be asked, how much more stress did the bat thief put on it by grabbing it off the wall, stuffing it into a bag and bouncing off across the shingle with it hidden in a pocket?

I would have been quite happy to wait till dusk and see it emerge naturally!

John

Last edited:
Perhaps the bat was removed to provide a specimen? (cf green darner in Devon?)

I hear via the grapevine that the "organized viewing" story was concocted to reduce disturbance to the bat during the day. A number of locals got great views / photos of the bat in the pill box before it shuffled out of sight.

Who was the abductee? Anyone know? I think we should be told...

alan

Yes, I agree although the comparison that occurred to me was the Tengmalm's Owl (and if anyone is tempted to say oh not that again, if you can't do the time...)

I carefully avoided either naming and shaming or the plethora of rumour flying about, but I am well aware that "a number of locals" includes a scrawny scabby senior member of one of the information (or should that be disinformation in this case?) services.

The abductee I believe to have been a bat, but I would be interested to know who the abductor was! :-O

Reading the article, it was the Norwich Bat Group, and Natural England who took the bat into care. They might still have it, if it was deemed too knackered to continue it's journey?

I am surprised they didn't just get the area cordoned off, so the animal could have been left in (proper!) peace, and emerge naturally at dusk?

I've heard that it was initially removed / taken from the pillbox by a member of a bat group from the West Country. How tales vary! Also under what rights; surley this was a premeditated action and therfore actual disturbance to a protected species.

However, food for thought...........

a. Were permissions sought / required from government agencies to take photographs by any of the individuals concerned - amateur or professional. If required by DTI or DEFRA, all those with photos but without consents may be liable to prosecution!

b. Animal concerned would have been immediately despatched for fear of carrying rabies by decree of said government agency. Hope it bit BATMAN.

Last edited:
I've heard that it was initially removed / taken from the pillbox by a member of a bat group from the West Country. How tales vary! Also under what rights; surley this was a premeditated action and therfore actual disturbance to a protected species.

However, food for thought...........

a. Were permissions sought / required from government agencies to take photographs by any of the individuals concerned - amateur or professional. If required by DTI or DEFRA, all those with photos but without consents may be liable to prosecution!

b. Animal concerned would have been immediately despatched for fear of carrying rabies by decree of said government agency. Hope it bit BATMAN.

How come you are so p155ed about it pyrtle? did you dip it too? Whatever it is, it must be really bad to hope someone receives a life threatening disease from the episode.

I thought Farnboro John's original post was heart-felt and very well written, and I thoroughly agree with all of it.
I have found out that the bat was NOT collected by the Norfolk Bat Group or anyone directly associated with it. As the article on the EDP website said, it was taken (ie stolen) by Mick Finnemore. According to my informant he is a known "complete pain in the butt rather than any kind of vague 'bat expert' !! He never speaks to anyone within bat circles, hails from Hampshire (where he got booted out for upsetting folk) and Wales before that, where he worked for English Nature on butterflies and is a rank amateur at best!"

How come you are so p155ed about it pyrtle? NOT AT ALL, DEAR BOYdid you dip it too? NO, DON'T TWITCH MAMMALS, WAS WORKING ANYWAY.Whatever it is, it must be really bad to hope someone receives a life threatening disease from the episode.WHO'S TO SAY IT HAS A LIFE THREATENING DISEASE, JUST THAT OCCASSIONALLY WILD THINGS RETALIATE WHEN UNDULY DISTURBED

The information was to update and add some thought to a debate, no threats made as far as I can see.

Only thing I'm slightly miffed about is your promise to run around naked and quack like a duck! (26/8/08) - wouldn't want to miss that!

Last edited:
The information was to update and add some thought to a debate, no threats made as far as I can see.

Only thing I'm slightly miffed about is your promise to run around naked and quack like a duck! (26/8/08) - wouldn't want to miss that!

It just seemed a bit OTT the way it read..

LOL.. I still believe it was a Blackcap, not that I would want to re-open that thread! Anyone know how to change your nickname on here BTW?!

Rare bat finds shelter on Norfolk coast

.Norwich Evening News 24
19 September 2008 11:01

An exhausted rare bat, blown off its European migration course, found shelter in a wartime pill box on the north Norfolk coast.

The appearance of parti-coloured bat in Norfolk for the first time in more than 100 years caused a stir in the wildlife world - and concerned bat fans had to move the resting flier on for its own safety.

Bat consultant Mick Finnemore said due to the attention of visitors and flash photography there were fears the bat could be disturbed, try to fly off in daylight - and be eaten by a bird of prey.

The species has been recorded fewer than 10 times in Britain - often dead or exhausted - and only one in Norfolk, backed in Yarmouth in the 1880s.

It normally lives in central Europe, from Italy to southern Scandanavia, and would have most likely been on a migration flight along the French coast when recent high winds blew it out to sea.

“They can often migrate 1,000 miles, but this bat probably had to do another 170, lasting five hours or more, to find land,” said Mr Finnemore from Aslacton in South Norfolk who is a member of the Norwich Bat Group.

The bat, with a wingspan of about 300mm, was spotted, by birdwatchers John Wagstaff and Peter Morrision, flying into the slit of a pillbox at Kelling.

They contacted Mr Finnemore, who identified it through its unusual two-coloured fur, with silver and blonde “highlights.”

He said: “As the animal needed rest and quiet after its marathon flight we decided to move it somewhere where it could recover” which was done in liaison with natural England. It was hoped the creature would recover, feed up on autumn insects and hibernate here through the winter

I really hope that for once the welfare of the animal has been put first. However the way the bat was smuggled out in a bizarre clandestine operation is suggestive of a 1 man ego trip. Glad the same logic doesn't apply to other vagrants !

The Norfolk Bat group have asked for it to be made clear that they 'would not have behaved in such a despicable fashion - and fully deplore what has happened here.
Both individuals involved with this are publicly available from their addresses on the web, and should be pleased to account for their actions in this matter, and might want to answer questions and perhaps have the opportunity to defend what they actually did.
Mick Finnemore: micky.finn 'at' virgin.net
The Natural England Officer who gave her permission from home on the Saturday afternoon was Louise Oliver: Louise.Oliver 'at' naturalengland.org.uk '
Both will surely claim it was done for the animal's welfare, and LO may indeed have been persuaded of that as she was not there, but any such claim by MF will be complete bunkum. Other than just plain, old-fashioned bloody-minded selfishness, the only other possibility that comes to mind is stupidity.

It all reminds me of what happens in the Netherlands when a rare seal turns up: it's a race between the twitchers and the "seal recuperation services" – the latter unfortunately are better known to the general public...

Allegedly the thief released it on nearby Muckleborough Hill, but into a hollow tree or after dark was not said. But who knows the truth? Maybe he took it home as a pet or prize specimen.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back