• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in London (1 Viewer)

Joe Below

Can anyone recommend any good spots for birding in London and possiby wildlife photography?

I find Hampstead Heath pretty good for woodpeckers, there are some kestrals that are always present on the turret of the climbing wall at the north end of Clissold Park. I ve seen the odd sparrowhawk here too and it's also good for herons. Parakeets are good in many places but I particularly like viewing them at Peckham Rye.

Try the excellent London Birders wiki site, which has a list of good local sites and a regularly updated Recent Sightings page. There's also a Yahoo Groups-based mailing list for discussion of local birdlife. The "Where to watch birds in..." series of books has a London entry which is very thorough although slightly out of date.

Generally speaking the very best sites are on the eastern edge of the city (Rainham Marshes and so on) but the larger parks can be very good too, as is the excellent and beginner-friendly London Wetland Centre at Barnes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back