• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small Coolpix 4500 problem (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Just thought I would mention this in case it happens to anyone else.At the end of a digiscoping afternoon,the camera,4500 ,refused to function.It was turned on and none of the buttons when pressed worked.It had totally seized up.I did remove the cable release but did not make any difference.Hurried home with camera still turned on,and phoned Ace Optics.They said they had never heard of this problem before and after a lot of head scratching(I could hear it down the phone lines:eek!: ) they suggested removing the battery,leaving it for a couple of mins then re inserting it.It worked.The camera now seems okay.Whether or not it was because the temp was dropping,I do not know,but if it ever happens to anyone else,then try the above,before panicking.I certainly was ,for a good 15 mins!!

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the timely reminder on this. It does seem to be a feature of Nikon and Olympus digital cameras and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a few other manufacturers too. It's a bit worrying when this happens and the camera simply stops working. It used to be recommended that the batteries be left out for up to 12 hours before re-inserting, but I have never had to wait that long. Fortunately it's a regular but infrequent problem.

Unfortunately on my 990 it happened quite often and towards the end I was having to take the batteries out for up to 48 hours before the camera would reset itself. It completely packed up on me a few weeks ago and I have purchased a new 4500. I hope that if the camera does freeze it can reset itself as quickly as yours did.

I'm surprised that Ace Optics hadn't heard of it before as it is a fairly well documented phenomena with these camera's.

Reader said:
Unfortunately on my 990 it happened quite often and towards the end I was having to take the batteries out for up to 48 hours before the camera would reset itself. It completely packed up on me a few weeks ago and I have purchased a new 4500. I hope that if the camera does freeze it can reset itself as quickly as yours did.

I'm surprised that Ace Optics hadn't heard of it before as it is a fairly well documented phenomena with these camera's.
I'm curious Reader and have been wondering if I should have another backup in case of the 990 packing it in. How do you like the 4500 over the 990?

Hi KC

To be honest I can't really tell you at the moment due to the weather being so poor since I received it. It has either been raining or has been virtual cloud cover since and the light conditions haven't been condusive to decent digiscoping. I haven't been able to take a photo out in the field yet to test it.

Weather has been pretty crappy here as well. Okay, let me know once you've gotten your feet wet with it.

I have been using the 4500 since last summer,and this is the first time this has happened.The Nikon remote was tempermental on lots of occasions,but this was the first time the camera itself actually seized.

Hello Christine,
It's happened to mine a couple of time and I'm afraid I just switched it off and on again.
It does bother me that it might happen at a critical moment!

Jen :)

From my experience this behavour can be caused by defective CF cards.

My 4500 freezed then I used the original CF card which came with the camera. The card was defective. Had to do the battery stunt to wake it up. Has worked perfectly with other cards.

It's happened to mine a couple of time and I'm afraid I just switched it off and on again.
It does bother me that it might happen at a critical moment!

Jen

I purchased my one last year. I have had no problems, but after reading the above posts, I went to the Nikon site to find that there is an update for the camera driver. I have downloaded this into the camera. I hope that this does not lead to any of the above noted problems.
Old driver :- E4500 V1.1
New driver :- E4500 v1.3

Which driver are you using in your troublesome cameras.

"Keep pressing the "Menu" button while switching on, it will show in the view screen."

Malky @ Westhill

Interesting trick, I apparently have v1.2 in my camera. I will keep this for the time beeing. Experience has learned me not to fix what isn't broken.

Christine i upgraded my 4500 with the 1:2 version off the Nikon website cant remember how i did it now but there should be instuction on the site to guide you through.Did'nt know they had upgraded to 1:3.

see page 160 of the coolpix 4500 manual for possible cause i.e an external static charge and the cure. Turn the camera off, remove and replace the battery, and then turn the camera on again. So Nikon are aware of the problem. Similar instructions usually apply to most electronic gizmos. My Sky box often does funny things but turning it all off from the mains or removing and then replacing the viewing card has always cured whatever
problem had occcured .

This happens to my cp4500 at least once every time I go out, but only seems to occur when my camera stays inactive for more than five minutes or so. the screen is still working, but none of the buttons will work and it wont turn off.I just pop the battery out then put it straight back in. I dont know if this works in all cases, but it does the trick for mine. I think its just one of those nigling faults you get, when dealing with most things digital.

Upgrading the firmware on the Coolpix 4500

Thanks,Malky,will have a look. But how can one download something from a site onto ones camera?.

Christine, et all, the link for Europe is :-
http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikoneurope_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

Its the 2nd option, Coolpix 4500 Firmware Update 1.3 (Windows) or 3rd option for Macintosh.
Click on the one which suits your system, then follow the instructions.
It's quite easy.
The update is dated 28th Jan 2004, so it's quite recent.
It also fixes a flash in use, underexposure problem as well.
Regards

Malky @ Westhill

Thanks,Malky,I have printed the info,and will check out the site,

I've just had a go Malky,but was defeated at the first hurdle as one had to unzip once I had downloaded the info,and could not find the stuff once it was unzipped.Have been trying to locate the info for the last 45 mins .I have never managed to get the hang of this Zipping business.But have printed off all the info from Coolpix,and I think it is a little too difficult for me.I may end up making matters worse.That is if I ever manage to find the downloaded stuff.But thanks anyway,will keep everything ,in hope.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back