• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser spotted woodpecker Potteric Carr (1 Viewer)

pmydon

Grey Nomad
I am thinking of driving over one day next week to try and see the LSW. This is my bogie bird. I have been trying for about 20 years to see one, but always seem to miss out. How reliable/regular are LSW at Potteric Carr (never been to this reserve before)

Thanks

Last edited:
I was there on Monday 24, Wednesday 26 and Sunday 30 November and saw the bird on Mon and Sun. It was favouring the birches outside the Field Centre Cafe, sightings were intermittent though, we waited for about an hour on the Sun before seeing the bird, on the Monday we were lucky and the bird was showing when we arrived at the cafe. On both days the bird flew from the birches across to the wardens car park area and then into a non accessible part of the reserve.
here's link to the Opus page on Potteric
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Potteric_Carr_Nature_Reserve

I visit potteric carr every week, but as yet have not managed to see one, HOWEVER , it looks like ive been looking in the wrong places lol.
hopefully now armed with the info of where its seen most often i will catch a glimps on my next visit to the reserve on sunday:t:

Well, I drove over on Monday and yet again dipped on the pesky LSW (but I have been trying on and off for 30 years). There was a bird walk in progress, and the leader of the walk was very precise where its normal haunts were, (exactly where the other posters suggested). I stood, I watched, but I did not tick.

It was still a good day out at a reserve I had never visited before. If I lived in the area, I guess I would be a regular visitor.

Last edited:
I reckon the chance of seeing LSW at Potteric would increase on busy weekends simply because there will be more people looking. They take some finding on your own.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back