• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roseate Terns RFI (1 Viewer)

wintibird

André Weiss
Opus Editor
This summer I will be up in Scotland for a family visit. I did manage to find some time for birding and on second place on my wish-list is Roseate Tern. Are there any sites where Roseate Terns can be seen in late July, early August?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

André

This summer I will be up in Scotland for a family visit. I did manage to find some time for birding and on second place on my wish-list is Roseate Tern. Are there any sites where Roseate Terns can be seen in late July, early August?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

André

The most regular site at that time of the year is Port Edgar, which is on the Lothian side of the Forth right below the Forth Road Bridge. There's a marina here at the mouth of which are some breakwaters that terns gather on. There are often a few Roseates in late summer. It's a regular site, although my impression is that numbers vary from year to year (maybe Lothian birders can say more about this?).

Here's a map:
http://www.multimap.com/s/QghDWUoV

Something to add is that if you have trouble finding them at Port Edgar and you have time to travel a bit further, then there are usually some reasonable gatherings of Roseate Terns in Northumberland at that time of year. The Beadnell Bay area and St Mary's Island can be good, although I don't know these sites well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back