• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Assistance with Bird watching North Somerset October/November (2 Viewers)

Dave Derrick

Supporter
England
In late October/early November I will be staying near Bridgewater, Somerset for a week. I will obviously be visiting the reserves at Avalon Marshes, but I am not at all familiar with the north coast of Somerset. Any help regarding sites would be very much appreciated; reserves, tidal areas good for birds etc.

Many thanks, Dave.

The obvious suggestion would be Steart Marshes which is WWT reserve so has some basic facilities and hides. Their website has the tide times for when the flood defences breach and flood the site.

In late October/early November I will be staying near Bridgewater, Somerset for a week. I will obviously be visiting the reserves at Avalon Marshes, but I am not at all familiar with the north coast of Somerset. Any help regarding sites would be very much appreciated; reserves, tidal areas good for birds etc.

Many thanks, Dave.
Chew Valley Lake, Blagdon Lake, Cheddar Reservoir???

I think you have to be a member to access the hides at Chew Valley Lake (although the view from the road is pretty good) and there’s a charge to walk around Blagdon. Last time I was there I rang the number on the fishing lodge and put the money through the letterbox.

I think you have to be a member to access the hides at Chew Valley Lake (although the view from the road is pretty good) and there’s a charge to walk around Blagdon. Last time I was there I rang the number on the fishing lodge and put the money through the letterbox.
The views from the road are very good, but as far as I am aware you can still buy an inexpensive day permit for CVL that includes Blagdon & Barrow Tanks.
Having birdwatched there for over fifty years I rarely use my annual permit. Cheddar reservoir is public access.
regards
Merlin

The views from the road are very good, but as far as I am aware you can still buy an inexpensive day permit for CVL that includes Blagdon & Barrow Tanks.
Having birdwatched there for over fifty years I rarely use my annual permit. Cheddar reservoir is public access.
regards
Merlin
Cheers Merlin. Didn’t know that.

Rich

Dave

I live on the Avon side of the Avon/Somerset boundary. It depends really what you are looking for and what birding you enjoy. There are excellent suggestions here and plenty of sites.

I would summarise:-
1. The Levels - Ham Wall, Shapwick, Catcott, Greylake & Westhay amongst others are all superb with hides. Great White Egrets, Marsh Harriers, Bitterns, Bearded Tits, etc. Mostly 30 mins inland from Bridgwater.

2. Steart Marshes WWT - again hides for waders, wildfowl, etc on the coast and maybe 30 mins the other way. Check the tide times but there are usually plenty around on Otterhampton Marshes regardless. 15 mins or so from Bridgwater.

3. Burnham seafront & walking south to the Parrett Estuary - you will find waders here & it can be a rewarding walk away from the a hide/Reserve situation. In very inclement weather, a seawatch may get you a Leach's Petrel at Burnham in late autumn but do not expect Estuary watching for seabirds to be anything other than a patience exercise. It is sadomasochism really....

4. Brean Down & Sand Point - migrant watching - if you like looking for passerines then these are your best chances but birds tend to be thin on the ground. Both Berrow & Sand Bay can have waders and can be combined with a walk along the beach. Both are about an hour from Bridgwater.

5. Quantocks - if you want a woodland or walk around some heath etc, then there are good places in the Quantocks. Again about 30 mins.

6. Reservoirs - Cheddar (a circular open access bowl), Blagdon & Chew - you can pop into the lodges at the latter two or call a number for a day permit but access points to view from the road. Permits are cheap enough and Woodford Lodge has a tackle shop that is open some of the time. Check the Chew Valley website. A chance of something interesting. Just over an hour to Woodford Lodge from Bridgwater. Cheddar is closest.

I will intersperse a few eBird links.

All the best

Paul

Dave

I live on the Avon side of the Avon/Somerset boundary. It depends really what you are looking for and what birding you enjoy. There are excellent suggestions here and plenty of sites.

I would summarise:-
1. The Levels - Ham Wall, Shapwick, Catcott, Greylake & Westhay amongst others are all superb with hides. Great White Egrets, Marsh Harriers, Bitterns, Bearded Tits, etc. Mostly 30 mins inland from Bridgwater.

2. Steart Marshes WWT - again hides for waders, wildfowl, etc on the coast and maybe 30 mins the other way. Check the tide times but there are usually plenty around on Otterhampton Marshes regardless. 15 mins or so from Bridgwater.

3. Burnham seafront & walking south to the Parrett Estuary - you will find waders here & it can be a rewarding walk away from the a hide/Reserve situation. In very inclement weather, a seawatch may get you a Leach's Petrel at Burnham in late autumn but do not expect Estuary watching for seabirds to be anything other than a patience exercise. It is sadomasochism really....

4. Brean Down & Sand Point - migrant watching - if you like looking for passerines then these are your best chances but birds tend to be thin on the ground. Both Berrow & Sand Bay can have waders and can be combined with a walk along the beach. Both are about an hour from Bridgwater.

5. Quantocks - if you want a woodland or walk around some heath etc, then there are good places in the Quantocks. Again about 30 mins.

6. Reservoirs - Cheddar (a circular open access bowl), Blagdon & Chew - you can pop into the lodges at the latter two or call a number for a day permit but access points to view from the road. Permits are cheap enough and Woodford Lodge has a tackle shop that is open some of the time. Check the Chew Valley website. A chance of something interesting. Just over an hour to Woodford Lodge from Bridgwater. Cheddar is closest.

I will intersperse a few eBird links.

All the best

Paul
Paul, very many thanks. A very helpful and informative list .... more than enough to keep me busy. Thanks again, Dave.

Don't forget to make an evening trip to Ham Wall to see the magnificent Starling murmurations! The numbers peak around new year but in November they are already well underway, last year I saw 600,000 murmurating in November (official rspb estimation). It's a fantastic sight.

Don't forget to make an evening trip to Ham Wall to see the magnificent Starling murmurations! The numbers peak around new year but in November they are already well underway, last year I saw 600,000 murmurating in November (official rspb estimation). It's a fantastic sight.
Many thanks. I had forgotten about the murmurations at Ham Wall. I now know I will be in Bridgewater area in mid November .... excellent. Cheers, Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back