• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cliffs of Moher - 9th April: any chance for puffins? (1 Viewer)

giaina

Hi all,
I will have an Ireland trip with my friends for Easter holydays. I'll visit Cliffs of Moher in the first day (9th April) afternoon, I would ask you if I have some chances to see puffin, and also gannet, guillemot, black guillemot and razorbills.
If yes, can I see something good with a 8x bino (I can't bring my scope)?

Another question:
the next day in the afternoon, after a long journey in the morning from Galway, we will visit the Dingle peninsula. Is there some spots where I can watch something like shearwaters without a scope? and terns?

I'll have very short time for bw, so any suggest is welcome!

Thank you in advance

Paolo

Hi paulo,

There is a thread on dingle in the information wanted section at the moment.

You should do well for seabirds at the cliffs. You can also check loop head and the bridges of ross in southwest clare for yet more. Including a good chance of manx shearwater at the bridges.

If you get your hands on where to find birds in ireland by eric dempsey that will give you all the info you need.

Enjoy your trip.

Owen

Havent seen puffins there, as there is a shortage of burrows but you might see them on the sea below - it is a long way down. Previous advice is good, you should get red billed choughs at the Cliffs of Moher and that would be a good tick for us, maybe not for you!! Wil check Dempsey's guide and get back to you!!

Chough

Havent seen puffins there, as there is a shortage of burrows but you might see them on the sea below - it is a long way down. Previous advice is good, you should get red billed choughs at the Cliffs of Moher and that would be a good tick for us, maybe not for you!! Wil check Dempsey's guide and get back to you!!

A Red-billed Chough was here in Verona two months ago, but I haven't seen it, so.. that's good for me!

Thanks

Paolo

According to Dempsey it is a good spot for puffins!! They nest on Goat Island below the viewing platform along with other sea birds. It is a bit on the early side but you might be in luck as guillemots and razorbills are around the breeding sites already, so there is a chance of seeing them on the water, also gannets offshore. Please post back when you get home !!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back