• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Svalbard in June 2023 - interested? (1 Viewer)

Paul Collins

Hi all,

I am returning to Longyearbyen in Svalbard (Norwegian Arctic) in the first part of June for about 5-6 days, to coincide with: bird migration and courtship (phalaropes, divers, king eiders, little auks), whales, walruses, and arctic fox activity. I may also return in July, with a greater emphasis on the foxes and pelagic wildlife (tundra bird activity is less good at that time).

Having visited several times over the last few summers, I know the area intimately and am opening this trip up to anyone who'd like to join for wildlife or some creative photography / art in the field! I tend to spend 4 days visiting the local tundra valley and coastal lagoons, sea cliffs (for little auk and foxes), and mountains (for ptarmigan), with 2 other days dedicated to boat trips - a walrus colony visit, and a trip to Pyramiden ghost town (with high chances of whales, polar bear, and many seabirds along the way). If there's anything you'd really like to do, wildlife or otherwise, I'm very open to amending!

In the last two years, I've regularly seen whales (up to 60 beluga, blue, minke, humpback), polar bears, pinnipeds (bearded seal, ringed seal, walrus), up to 16 arctic foxes with many close encounters, and a fabulous variety of birds up close - Red-Necked and Grey Phalarope, King Eider, Steller's Eider (rare), Ivory Gull (rare), Snow Goose (rare), Svalbard Ptarmigan, Snow Bunting, Pink-Footed Goose, Purple Sandpiper, Little Auk, Brunnich's Guillemot, Black Guillemot, Common Guillemot, Puffin, Glaucous Gull, Iceland Gull...

Let me know if you're interested in a visit to this fabulous location, and I can be in touch with proposed itinerary and costings.

PaulScreenshot 2023-02-01 at 11.34.50.pngScreenshot 2023-02-01 at 11.34.55.pngScreenshot 2023-02-01 at 11.35.02.pngScreenshot 2023-02-01 at 11.35.07.pngScreenshot 2023-02-01 at 11.35.19.png

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back