• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broad Winged Hawk.. nest disturbance? (1 Viewer)

My brother and I were walking through the nearby state park about a month ago and we spotted a pair of broad winged hawks perched at a nest. They started making a racket, screeching and such, it was pretty awesome to see. Their nest is about 30 feet away from a path and about 60 feet up in a tree.

I've been back to that spot to see them again about 6 more times and they have never been at the nest right when I got there. Twice I stood there for a few minutes and they flew to the nest screeching non stop.

I really want to keep going back to see them (I haven't shot pictures that I'm satisfied with yet) but I'm afraid that I might be stressing them out. I also know I read a sticky somewhere on this site about not posting pics of nest sites but I thought that since this one was so high up in a tree it might not be a big deal to hang around it.

Does anyone here think that I might be stressing these birds out and that I should leave them alone or at least not linger by their nest when I walk by?

Thanks,
Matt

I'd say yeah, back off. If nothing else is making them screech, and they only do it when you are near, then the conclusion is you are stressing them. Oh, and the pokemon hat might bother them....Ok just kiddin on that part.
:t:
Even though I kid Im serious in a way....if you always wear the same jacket, hat, etc. they may catch on. Remember you are on the visiting team...they live there.

yea they seem to be screeching at me, but I don't know how to tell, and I have no idea what they're doing when I'm not near them so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to conclude anything..

Another thing is that on whatbird.com its says, "Preferred habitats include dense deciduous and mixed woodlands, often near openings created by roads, trails, or wetlands."

So if its common for them to nest near roads/trails where people will be is this an indication that they don't mind my presence?

Matt

I get your reasoning....but think the trail is normally walked on by people unaware of the nest. This makes a huge difference (to the hawks). They know you know the nest is there, which makes you a threat to them....Just guessing here. Hikers hike the trails...they know you aren't there to hike.

When in doubt it is always best to limit any activity in sight of the nest.

Hey, I give you credit for having some concern and asking about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back