• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lincolnshire Birding (1 Viewer)

vanellus

Andrew Hodson
From a Yellowbelly living in exile in Northumberland. Can't find a generic Lincolnshire thread so started this one.

Visit to Lincoln over weekend. Nothing unusual. Large female Sprawk flew low level past McDonalds near the Uni at 10:30 am today.

Annual camp on the Showground - normally see a few Yellow Wags there at this time of year - no sign. Loads of Swallows. Nearby stubble attracting lots of Gulls - good numbers of LBB.

Gedney Drove End
Sea bank wall 1200 - 1430
2 x Jack Snipe by the stile,
Marsh
Curlew x 12, Red Shank, Green Shank x 3,Knot c1000, BT Godwits x 68, L Egets x 15, Shellduck, teal,

I am taking a couple of days holiday in Lincs around Sutton on Sea, would some one be kind enough to let me know the best local spots for birding at this time of year. I shall be around Donna Nook first day and finish towards Gib Point.

Thanks

Garganey i would recommend Frampton and Frieston without a doubt also Hutoft pit is good ,get in touch with the south lincs and linc birding clubs for any latest bird news both have websites which are informative
cheers jd

Many thanks, will try to see the Laps and Shorelarks at Donna Nook while my pals admire the seals.
Gib Point is one of the best places I have ever known for variety and the occasional surprise. It's many years since I went and the Lincs Wildlife Trust has since spent a lot of money on developing wetland habitat.

I suspect that there are still Shorelarks at Greenshanks Creek and Twite on the Samphire. Often good for seawatching.

How do! I've seen on the lincs birders site that there are 3 cettis warblers at far ings, does anyone know the best areas where theres a chance of spotting them?
Thanks in advance.

Rough Legged Buzzard still to the west of the cement works at south ferriby this afternoon , although a fair distance away , 1 common buzzard in a tree about 1 mile to the east of the village near the turn of for far ings

Rough Legged Buzzard still to the west of the cement works at south ferriby this afternoon , although a fair distance away , 1 common buzzard in a tree about 1 mile to the east of the village near the turn of for far ings

Hi Andy - any news on this bird still being present?

South Ferriby Rough Leg

We went on 27th arriving approx 11.30 and parked near the cement works. The driving snow kept us in the car until we found a common Buzzard which encouraged us out scanning. I picked up the RL and it showed well for the duration of our visit.

We went on to Far Ings which was frozen - only Sprawk and a busy bird table. Then returned to the layby where the RL was still present.
Then went to Worlaby Carr - one SEO , 4 Common Buzzard and Kestrel.

Strange that Lincs news seems so hard to get??!

All the best for the New Year!

Hi. I will be at Barton on Saturday. Does anybody know if the rough legged buzzard is still hanging around South Ferriby?

see post on Yorks site - this site doesnt appear to favour replies. With the exception of Dandy who did so PM - much appreciated.

Last edited:
Good but distant views of the RLB today - 13.20 for an hour. Using the fence line to hunt around 400m from the road - best viewed looking back from the second lay by. Also saw three Marsh Harriers, possible Merlin, Goldeneye and at least 12 Fallow deer on the island - including one fine Buck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back