• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ESP metering (1 Viewer)

pshute

Australia
I just noticed that my E-520 has a metering mode called ESP, which seems to be some kind of intelligent metering using 49 metering points. Does anyone know how it works? Is it any use for backlit subjects like birds in flight?

Don't really understand this mode of metering, but i guess for birds in flight, you can use spot metering and multi focusing points with auto ISO. usually i find spot metering very convenient for birds.

Don't really understand this mode of metering, but i guess for birds in flight, you can use spot metering and multi focusing points with auto ISO. usually i find spot metering very convenient for birds.
Why auto ISO? I've been using manual exposure for birds in flight, but normally use spot metering for everything else, so it means I have to be ready. I was hoping this mode might be smart enough to work it out itself.

I use ESP metering most of the time, making manual EV adjustments as required. It seems to work well for most of the time but for backlit bird I think spot metering might be better. I don't often use spot metering as it can come up with some very strange results if an inappropriate part of the bird is selected. I think Centre Weighted metering is the second most useful, provided the bird is in the centre of the frame or you are prepared to use the AE button.

Ron

Why auto ISO? I've been using manual exposure for birds in flight, but normally use spot metering for everything else, so it means I have to be ready. I was hoping this mode might be smart enough to work it out itself.

I assume that this mode is similar to matrix metering on other cameras. If that is indeed the case, then a medium darkness bird is likely to come out perfect; however, a white bird filling much less than all of the pixels is likely to come out too white while the rest of the frame becomes too dark. Try it out with a white piece of paper placed in different backgrounds, and if you want to do really well, a black piece placed some distance from the first.

Niels

I usually use spot metering for taking shots with birds (in flight or not). I change the metering mode only when I have a bird that cover a large area of the frame (the bird is very close to the camera) and has very dark/light colors. In such a situation I strongly recommend ESP.

Last edited:
I usually use spot metering for taking shots with birds (in flight or not). I change the metering mode only when I have a bird that cover a large area of the frame (the bird is very close to the camera) and has very dark/light colors. In such a situation I strongly recommend ESP.

THANKS Christan this is very helpful, let me try it.

I am resurrecting this thread as I have been using Spot Metering quite a bit recently. It is useful for birds in flight or in difficult situations, such as against bright sky etc. However, I have found that the results can vary wildly if the bird has variable plumage colours, such as a Magpie for example. Depending on which bit of the bird the Spot is metering from, the image can be badly over- or underexposed.

This brings me to the real point of this post. I have been reading on another forum that many people choose Centre-weighted as their metering mode for bird photography, as a compromise between ESP and Spot Metering. I haven't tried it myself but will give it a go next time I am photographing birds. Has anyone else tried it and was it effective?

Ron

Last edited:
I've used it rather rare and I don't have a conclusion about it. As I wrote above I usually use Spot and, from time to time, ESP. A magpie is always a hard subject for photography, like any black and white subject...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back