• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Red Fox families share dens? (1 Viewer)

muckybob

Regular lurker/Infrequent poster
Hello All.

I'm lucky enough to watch a foxes den from my living room window - its 2/3rds of a mile away so I need my scope! As the weather's nice at present, the cubs are all out playing in the daytime. However, although I've only ever seen one adult at any one time, there are definately at least seven cubs, four look bigger and are red, and three are smaller and darker. Could this be two seperate litters sharing one den, or is it one large litter?

I watched the same den last year and there were only three cubs then.

Whatever the answer is, its still good to watch them.

Red foxes can live singly or in groups, depending on food supply, territory size and so on.
However, even if they live in groups it is normally only the dominant female within the group that has a litter. Two litters sharing a den would be highly unusual; but not impossible.
That can happen for example in the unusual case that the dominant female has died and a new dominance hierarchy within the group is not fixed during mating time; so that there isn´t one dominant female at that time.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back