• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat Photography (1 Viewer)

Robin Edwards

Would anyone have a recommendation for a relatively cheap camera suitable for bat photography. My DSLR Macro lens does not afford close enough focus.

not sure why you'd need a new camera, if you have an slr and the lens isn't suitable why not look at another lens rather than a whole new camera system? also why would you be using a macro lens for bat photography or am i missing a trick here?

i've always struggled to get good bat photos because they're just too damned fast and i can't focus on them. usually i try and focus on a branch or something near to where the bats are flying and time the shutter release to catch them in that plane. i certainly never get close enough to use a macro lens, though i'd love the opporunity.

apologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick, perhaps you could explain what you're using just now and the technique and someone might be able to give some tips.

Sorry - I should have explained more.

My brother is into bat rehab and has asked what sort of camera he should invest in. I don't think he expects flight shots but close up shots of bats he has in his care would be a start.

I use a Canon set up for bird photography and my macro lens does not afford close enough focus so I can't lend him mine. I would imagine a good compact to be what he needs but don't have a view as to which would give good macro / close focus options ?

ah that makes a bit more sense. i've got a canon g9 which has a pretty good macro setting, i'm sure the current g11 would be similar though these aren't cheap. the canon powershot range are all pretty good compacts with some more advanced functions.

i'm sure others will have more suggestions though, hope you find a good one!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back