• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginner (1 Viewer)

Barwickbird

United Kingdom
Hi, looking at getting a camera and lens for bird photography. Unsure between mirrorless and DSLR?

Any recommendations. I know this is a broad subject but just don’t know where to start as so many to look at.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Probably a good idea to give some indication of your budget. That will likely rule out some options.

Malcolm

Canon R7 with the EF 100-400 IS II USM, or the 400 f/5.6 L USM
Just before Christmas I bought a R7 and the RF100-400 from John Lewis in their 20% off sale which along with Canon Cashback came to what I thought a very reasonable £1526. Also picked up the 1.4 teleconverter from Canon which with cashback was £370. Coming from bridge cameras and an M50 with an EF 100-300 I've been very impressed with the reach and the quality especially considering the price of the lens to me, £371. Think you have to pick your timing with purchasing and leap in when deals appear, the JL stock went very quickly. I probably went for the Canon because I already had one and the price.

Mirrorless is the way to go.
This. And to explain in no uncertain terms, the AI autofocusing on modern mirrorless blows old school phase detect DSLR out of the water, especially concerning eye detect technology. Even a mediocre lens will get you locked on the eye for a sharp focus. Get the best mirrorless camera body you can and use the remaining budget to fill in the lens from there. My two cents.

These treads are really valuable. Not only for beginners, but also for folks like myself (who are mainly using cameras from a 'birders perspective'). I tend to get somewhat lost in all the technical details discussed in other treads, so thanks for this.

Mirrorless is the way to go.
This. And to explain in no uncertain terms, the AI autofocusing on modern mirrorless blows old school phase detect DSLR out of the water, especially concerning eye detect technology. Even a mediocre lens will get you locked on the eye for a sharp focus. Get the best mirrorless camera body you can and use the remaining budget to fill in the lens from there. My two cents.
Absofrigginlutely agree. Not only what you said about locking onto the eye in an instant, but there's the live histogram in the viewfinder, there's no need to calibrate lenses to compensate for front/back focussing. etc etc etc.

Firstly, welcome @Barwickbird I hope you enjoy the forum, it's a great place to learn both about birds and photography.

Now to the tricky questions...and this might seem a little out of left-field, but can I first start by asking how old is your Desktop / Laptop?...and I ask this because it's no good having the latest mirrorless camera if you don't have a computer and software capable of processing the latest high-res files at a reasonable speed.

Next...are you new to photography, or do you have a good understanding of what it takes to produce a good image...and please don't think this as being patronising because it's not meant in that way at all, I'm just trying to get a sense of your skill level in terms of photography.

As for kit...some good advice has already been given above and the R7 is a good shout if you want to go with Canon and mirrorless, though I wouldn't rule out a good DSLR just yet, all the images in my gallery were taken with a DSLR which should give you a good idea of what can still be achieved with dinosaur kit ;)

Hope this is of some use

Firstly, welcome @Barwickbird I hope you enjoy the forum, it's a great place to learn both about birds and photography.

Now to the tricky questions...and this might seem a little out of left-field, but can I first start by asking how old is your Desktop / Laptop?...and I ask this because it's no good having the latest mirrorless camera if you don't have a computer and software capable of processing the latest high-res files at a reasonable speed.

Next...are you new to photography, or do you have a good understanding of what it takes to produce a good image...and please don't think this as being patronising because it's not meant in that way at all, I'm just trying to get a sense of your skill level in terms of photography.

As for kit...some good advice has already been given above and the R7 is a good shout if you want to go with Canon and mirrorless, though I wouldn't rule out a good DSLR just yet, all the images in my gallery were taken with a DSLR which should give you a good idea of what can still be achieved with dinosaur kit ;)

Hope this is of some use
A Nikon D850 DSLR has pretty much the same file size as a Mirrorless Nikon Z8 or Z9 as they are all 45 M pixel. DSLR or Mirrorless will be the same with regard to necessary computing power.

DSLR's can and do take phenomenal photographs no doubt about it. For a beginner a mirrorless camera will give him/her a much easier introduction to getting great results than a DSLR simply because they are WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

It sounds like mirrorless is the way to go then, I guess as a DSLR die hard at some point I'll have to make the switch.

I know my PC and software doesn't support R7 files, but whichever way @Barwickbird decides to go I hope they have a great time photographing birds.

It sounds like mirrorless is the way to go then, I guess as a DSLR die hard at some point I'll have to make the switch.

I know my PC and software doesn't support R7 files, but whichever way @Barwickbird decides to go I hope they have a great time photographing birds.
I took a look at your gallery images. The Short-eared is WOW! Amazing shot. They’re all good but that one is stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back