• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Delhi/Bharatpur in August (1 Viewer)

metcow333

Hi
Im going to have 4 or 5 days at the end of a trip to Delhi to go birding, but it will be at the beginning of August. I've seen on here that Bharatpur is quite poor at the moment, but will this be changed by monsoon rain by the time I get there? Also will be there with my Dad who isn't a birder, but likes wildlife in a general sort of way, will there be enough there to hold his interest? Any recommendations for an alternative (i think i will have been to Sariska and Sultanpur already by this stage)
Thanks

Hi
Im going to have 4 or 5 days at the end of a trip to Delhi to go birding, but it will be at the beginning of August. I've seen on here that Bharatpur is quite poor at the moment, but will this be changed by monsoon rain by the time I get there?

Understandable that it would be dry at this period, i.e pre-Monsoon. Whether it is wet by the beginning of August totally depends on how early and heavy the monsoon is. Typically the best season is later in the autumn, but even if there is a little water, I think there will be plenty or you to see.

Definitely do Sultanpur and Okhla Bird Sanctuary in Delhi - although hot and monsoonal it's a good time for the bitterns, Watercock and Bristled Grassbird. Bharatpur is likely to be pretty dry still - it's always worth a visit but nowhere near its best then.

Since you'll have a few days, why not consider visiting Gujarat, and the Rann of Kutch in particular? You'd be best flying to Bhuj for this (or Ahmedabad plus a long drive?). This is the time of year for displaying Lesser Florican, which is almost worth the trip alone. (Hoping to do it myself sometime soon!) Good chance of Indian Bustard as well, with a few other not so easy to see Indian specialities possible. Passage migrants start passing through then so you ought to see Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin, although you might be a bit early for such Indian rarities as Spotted Flycatcher and Whitethroat!

Feel free to contact me direct if you'd like any more information and/or contacts for the area.

Thanks for the help, would be great to get a bit of up-to-date news on Bharatpur before leaving. Just a few more questions... is there any tiger reserves in striking distance of Delhi that will be open at this time of year? I know Corbett and Ranthambore are closed this time of year. And would Chambal sanctuary and Hastinapur be worth a look?
thanks very much

If you are bent on going to the bharatpur area during early August..you'll find the local resident birds for sure (you might have to walk into the bushes a bit ).
migrant and water birds would be few.
An intersting area at the national park is to get off the entrance path before the lake area starts and venture into the trees (a bit deep) and you might come across raptors.
Depending on how many days you have free at delhi and also on whether you can move out of delhi for these days, an alternate would/could be to drive out toward the north ...

"Assan through Dhalipur power house. Assan Barrage Bird Sanctuary is located about 40 kms west of Dehradun, in the west of Dehradun valley on Dehradun-Paonta Road. Assan Barrage Bird Sanctuary is famous for bird watching. The Asan Reservoir is a small man-made
Assan Barrage Bird Sanctuary India

wetland of ca. 4 sq km area, located 40 km west of Dehradun, in the west of Dehradun valley on Dehradun-Paonta road. The barrage is 287.5 m long, the river bed being 389.4 m above sea level, with minimum and maximum water levels respectively at 402.4 m and 403.3 m. The Asan reservoir exists throughout the year and is fed from the river Asan and the discharge channel of Yamuna through Dhalipur powerhouse. Although the water level is controlled, it often goes down, and swampy islands in the middle become visible, attracting a variety of marsh-loving birds like Egrets, Herons and Lapwings, etc."

2...You'll have to spend the night at above..following day (early morning)head to a place called "renuka jheel" ..small santuary with ..theres a small 2 acre lion reserve ....plus local birds. post lunch head out of here to a place called kasauli so as to reach by nightfall..along the way look out for bird surprises ..at places the drive can be rough and bumpy.wake up in the morning to bird sounds and sightings of ..sun birds, warblers,bablers,koels,woodpeckers,magpies,white-eyes,bulbuls,swallows,nuthatches,minivets..and more if you are lucky ...this should have made your day...stay another night or head back to delhi (seven hours drive).

3... hit kasauli direct and enjoy the pine-altitude and everything it has to cool you off from the heat and dust of delhi.

If you need more details let me know..some firmed up dates and already fixed up itenaries would be helpful.

regards.

Just got an update about Bharatpur today, water is being released to the park. About 200 Painted Storks have arrived and we should have a clearer picture after about a month.

Apana

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back