• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

computers (1 Viewer)

ray25

hello eveyone!

can anyone help me?i'm in the process of buying a new computer but i really don't know where is the best place to get one!i'm told dell and mesh computers are the ones to avoid ;) ;)

I suspect that it's a bit like cars, you can get a "Friday computer" just like you can get a Friday car (i.e. one cobbled together by people who are more focussed on the weekend than the job in hand).
My home pc was a Tiny which was then rebuilt by a 'man round the corner' who freelances, and has given me an incredible amount of free support and backup since I first went to him. But that's not much help to you.
I've heard good things about Evesham, and I have an Evesham workstation at work which has never given me any probs. at all.
HTH
Ken

Hi and welcome,

Dell are ok; their Support is not what it was, though. Good prices for basic PCs.

Avoid most stuff in PCWorld/Dixons/Currys.

Don't get a Tiny.

Evesham have a good reputation, try their site first www.evesham.com the clearance page has a few decent deals.

What do you need it to do?

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Ray, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here.
I think there's plenty of disgruntled and vocal customers for every pc maker there is (although Tiny and Time have exceptionally bad reputations). Personally, Evesham and Dell have done me well in the past. Clearly, finding a reliable local computer whizz who can build you a pc to your specifications is the best bet, and this usually works out cheaper.
Regards,
Andy

For what its worth - I manage a department where we have about forty Dell machines and they are certainly the most reliable I have ever had to look after.
As for Evesham, I once had a machine at home from them and had to take it back half a dozen times, gave up in the end and bought a Dell.

Having said that you will, as some one has already said hear a horror story about every manufacturer.

One tip though, you can't have a big enough hard disk.

I'll go along with Andy's suggestion. My three computers were all built locally by one of the private computer shops in town.It is a busy two man outfit. If I have any problems, which are usually of my own making, it's straight along to them with the machine which is usually sorted by the end of that day if not immediately. All are with the latest spec for the date they were built and the price usually compares very favourably with the bigger boys (Dell, Evesham, Time, Tiny, etc) and each also has the best components for the date of build. The working systems, anti virus, and spyware are also installed, usually free of charge, and both hardware and software thoroughly checked out to be working properly. Free advice on all aspects of computers is also very cheerfully given to prevent naff hardware or software being used (misused?) and spoiling proper working of machines this shop builds. If they consider something is unsuitable to instal they are not afraid to tell you so. :bounce:

I've had computers from Evesham and Dell. Both worked fine - just outgrew the spec. When I had a computer built by the local computer shop it was the worst one I've had, A replacement from Dixons came complete with printer scanner, digital camera and TFT screen. Also 12 months interest free credit - I'm just about to send a cheque to pay for it. This one as also worked fine. It seems you pays yer money.....

AndyC

I was lucky in that the first computer we bought was fine from the start and we had no trouble with it. It was purchased from a company now out of business. After we'd had it some time, and before I became technically inclined, I had a local computer whizz-kid upgrade it for me and it went belly up. Had to reload Windows myself to get it going again, which took me the best part of a weekend.

Having been on a couple of courses, I can now build my own and the one at home is still going strong, if a little slow now, after two years. I'll be building a new one once we move house (if the move happens this time!). The one here in the office I built last year and the only problem I had was discovered to be faulty memory stick, which the parts supplier swiftly replaced.

My sister recently wanted to upgrade her computer, but as I didn't really have the time to do it for her, and she was desperate, she went to a local computer shop run by a couple of 'experts'. She was totally ripped off with the cost and had to go back several times before the computer would run properly. If I'd known she was going to go there I would have at least insisted that I go with her, but the first I knew was when she told me that she had the computer at home ready to set up.

I've heard nightmare tales from people who've bought from PC World, but then again they sell computers in their thousands, so they can't all be having trouble.

The moral is that you can get problems wherever you go. I know Dell are a reputable make, but I don't have any direct experience of them so I can't comment.

Try asking around locally if anyone can recommend someone to you. It is usually better to get a computer built to your own specifications, then you will get exactly what you want in the box rather than what the mass-produced ones have in them. The shop-bought ones usually fall short somewhere - that's why they appear so cheap, especially with printers and scanners thrown in, etc. If you have one built to your own specs, you can have a better graphics card installed or a better sound system, or whatever else you need.

bought from Dell about 5 years ago. Just plugged it in and it was virtually go straightaway. The thing still works ok.

It is usually better to get a computer built to your own specifications, then you will get exactly what you want in the box rather than what the mass-produced ones have in them. The shop-bought ones usually fall short somewhere - that's why they appear so cheap, especially with printers and scanners thrown in, etc. If you have one built to your own specs, you can have a better graphics card installed or a better sound system, or whatever else you need.
I custom-build computers to my customers specifications at very competitive prices, all with a minimum of 12 months Parts and Labour (3 years on some systems) warranty, and I offer a much more personal level of after-sales service via phone or email than the likes of PC World - let me know if youre interested and Ill do you a quote!

dandyd said:
I custom-build computers to my customers specifications at very competitive prices, all with a minimum of 12 months Parts and Labour (3 years on some systems) warranty, and I offer a much more personal level of after-sales service via phone or email than the likes of PC World - let me know if youre interested and Ill do you a quote!
There you go Ray 25 take Andys' advice and get Dan to build it -problem solved

bobwoodcock said:
There you go Ray 25 take Andys' advice and get Dan to build it -problem solved
If their username is in italics they can usually be trusted ;) Think of it as a birdforum pc ... any chance of the birdforum logo on the unit? ;)

I have two Advents ( PC World's own make ) and the only problems I have had are software conflicts typical of Windows OS.

The one I bought recently is a laptop (7039? ) with very good spec considering the cost ( £999 - interest free ) and when I started it up it had a dead pixel. I took it back to the store and they gave me another brand new one which was okay. I believe they did not have to do this as the regulations say a TFT can have between 5 and 15 dead pixels and not be faulty.

The worst thing about PC world is the after sales stuff they try to sell you - dont touch it with a barge pole !

hi guys!

many thanks for the advice!evesham seems to be a good bet although there is an offer at dell thats hard to refuse(although i'm put off about the call centre being in india) but then again maybe its cheaper to have it made to my own requirements!god!buying computers is harder then i thought!!!!

ray :h?:

ray25 said:
hi guys!

many thanks for the advice!evesham seems to be a good bet although there is an offer at dell thats hard to refuse(although i'm put off about the call centre being in india) but then again maybe its cheaper to have it made to my own requirements!god!buying computers is harder then i thought!!!!

It all depends on your needs. If they are modest - surfing, word processing - then a basic Dell will be fine. If you are into graphics or gaming - have one built.

Take your time....ask all the questions you like.

And don't be put off by the offshore call centre - you probably won't need them, plenty of help at hand in Birdforum.....

Andy.

ray25 said:
although i'm put off about the call centre being in india
That's the way of things these days... it's when some young girl in Mumbai says her name is Tracey and seems to know what's happening in Coronation Street that I go a bit cold, but at least they're trying to put us at ease.

Andy Bright said:
Hi Ray, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here.
I think there's plenty of disgruntled and vocal customers for every pc maker there is (although Tiny and Time have exceptionally bad reputations). Personally, Evesham and Dell have done me well in the past. Clearly, finding a reliable local computer whizz who can build you a pc to your specifications is the best bet, and this usually works out cheaper.
Regards,
Andy
Tiny & Time? Same lamentable company now. Stay clear.

I'd personally go for the big boys. Dell, Packard (Doh! Need to know how their machines are setup though) Toshiba et al.

Finally the best bet is get someone to build you a machine. Costs a bit more, but DEFINATELY the better option. IMO

Here is an off the wall suggestion My first 2 computers were custom built but the last time I bought one I got it from Aldi (yes the cheap supermarket)
It ran first time and after 4 months I have had no problems with it
The reason I bought it there?
3.2 p4
512 meg ram
200gig hard drive
tv/radio card
dvd writer
dvd rom drive
wireless lan card and a standard lan card
built in card reader
and a radeon 6800 graphix card
£750
they have these offers usually for one week only about every 6 months so if you can wait a few weeks it may be worth it:mad:)

I bought my first computer s/h, the second and third I had custom built. Since then I build my own and sometimes for wife, friends and neighbours.

There's really not much to it. A box, a motherboard, the peripherals you want, DVD writer etc. hard drive(s), floppy . . . .

All the info you need either comes with the motherboard or is available on the 'net.

In your case I would buy a good s/h. Let the seller show you how it works and that it does what you want it to do. Computer parts seldom break down, and if they do, it is cheap to replace them as long as you stick to IBM compatibles.

Macs are a different story and involve a slightly different knowledge. There are a lot less s/h parts available and they are dearer. For video editing I have custom built a G3 but in the end it wasn't really cheaper than a s/h one, later I just bought a good s/h G4 from the Internet.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back