• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merlin Sound ID on Android (1 Viewer)

HenryK

United States
Hello!
Currently I have a Moto G Power smartphone and Merlin Sound ID does not work on it. There is a noise filter that filters out all the high frequencies and there is no way to turn it off. Very frustrating.
Now I'm in the market for a new phone and I want to make sure that Merlin Sound ID will work on it. I'm looking at the Google Pixel 8 or maybe a Samsung Galaxy 23. Can anyone confirm that Sound ID works for them on these phones please.
Thanks!

Last edited:
What model G Power do you have. I have a Moto G7 Power, and Merlin works fine on that.
It is the 2020 model and is running Android 11. I believe the Sound ID used to work, but then there was a software update that added the noise filter to the microphone input and that messed up the Sound ID.
In the attached spectogram you can see how the high frequencies are not present. The second spectogram is for the Pixel 8, and the frequency peaks go much higher.

Attachments

• Merlin Sound ID spectogram.jpeg
    Merlin Sound ID spectogram.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Pixel 8 spectogram.png
    Pixel 8 spectogram.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back