• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First Bat! (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
Well, not really.

But the first one that I've tried to photograph.

I succeeded somewhat, and was wondering what the most common NY state bats are. According to ENature.com there are 8 species in my region. I would like someone to list the bats below by abundance, if possible.

Big Brown Bat
Silver-Haired Bat
Red Bat
Hoary Bat
Eastern Small-Footed Myotis
Little Brown Bat
Northern Myotis
Eastern Pipistrelle

I will have a picture ready as soon as I can.

LOL, charles!

Anyhow, not really easy to describe it:
brownish, and size was somewhere around 5 inches.
it had long ears

I will post a picture when I get home from work.

Sounds like every bat I ever saw (... except for those big scarey fruit bats in Cairns). I'll place my bet on Little Brown Bat-- that's sounds really abundant.

By the way, you can buy or build a bat house if you really get into this.

Hey charles:

Here's a few pictures.
The first is the unedited (besides cropped) full resolution image
the second is a weird filter I applied to show the length of the bat. It has been enlarged by 200%.
The third is a combination of both the above images, and kind of outlines the bat in the photo. Again, this is a 200% enlargement of the first image.

Attachments

• bat 1.jpg
    bat 1.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 243
  • bat 2.jpg
    bat 2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 227
  • bat 3.jpg
    bat 3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 250
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back