• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First Experience Purchasing Birding Binoculars (1 Viewer)

jacada45

United States
I am a newbie birder whose interest has evolved into a nature observer of birds, butterflies, and animals in that order. I found this forum very helpful in making my first binocular purchase on 03/29/2023. During the "pre-purchase period" I recall hearing and reading about many technical aspects of understanding binoculars and how those technologies affect the use experience such that I (along with apparently many others) felt overwhelmed by the binocular/optical nomenclature, brands, manufacture origin, warranty and actual customer support, durability and reliability, and cost as well as value of the models available. I hope my journey will be helpful to others making their first purchase decision.

A few personal disclosures unfortunately are necessary to provide context for my comments and to understand my approach to the purchase decision. Since my purchase, my almost daily use has provided practical understanding of the terms and concepts of binoculars and their use/benefits that I have read about in BirdForum.
  • I am an active senior closer to 80 than 70 years. I had cataract surgery about 8 years ago on both eyes. Afterwards I have only recently started using glasses for reading and I don’t wear them when looking through the binoculars.
  • My previous experience with binoculars has been limited to a pair of Tasco porro prism marine 7x50's that I used for 20 years for coastal navigation and a friend's 10x42 Vortex Viper I briefly used to learn the impact of "handheld shakiness" on the 8x vs 10x magnification issue.
*My daily use occurs on the North Carolina (USA) Outer Banks where I have access to birding in ocean shore/ coastal marsh environments (Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge for example) as well as full climax maritime forests of Nags Head Woods Preserve and Kitty Hawk Woods Preserve and inland lake and swamp/marsh areas such as Lake Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge and the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge (with approximately 20 miles of trails).
  • I am retired so I have a limited binoculars budget.
  • Since my late teenage years my interest in music and music reproduction led to my decades as an audiophile and my interest in art and nature led to my decades of interest in photography. My audiophile and photographic experiences and knowledge helped inform me as I started the quest for my first "birding" binocular.

I first determined my budget and then revised it as I explored the models in the market and the quality/price points discussed here and elsewhere. My audiophile experience taught me all too well about the diminishing improvement in sound quality for more dollars expended as I chased the audiophile Holy Grail of "absolute sound", ie, the exact recreation of a musical experience recorded and replayed through audio equipment. The journey through Harmon Kardon, Scott, Fisher, McIntosh, and Mark Levinson electronics as well as English and German turntables and multiple speaker systems taught me about the enormous amounts of money I could (and did) spend procuring the latest technology with ever smaller increases in sound quality and reproduction. I finally assembled, for me, the system of components that yielded the aural nirvana I was seeking with my available financial resources. That journey was 40 plus years in length. I didn't have that time span for this journey so how could I use that experience to inform my first binoculars purchase?

The answer to that question for me was found by combining the experience of my simultaneous and less complex photography journey where I learned about the wonderful world of Leica and Hasselblad Cameras, Zeiss lenses, and what I could and could not afford... and the latter being all the aforementioned. My parents (then birders but not me) got a top Cannon film camera (pre digital) and I was exposed to photography. After a series of Cannon and Nikon cameras I acquired a Nikon DSLR camera/lens system through which I learned about depth of field, sharpness, contrast, aperture, focus, light, as well as other aspects of capturing and reproducing the visual image with fidelity. Many of those lessons helped prepare me for my first "birder" binoculars purchase decision. This is how those two areas of interest intersected and played out in my journey.

I first heard the names Leica and Zeiss from the neighbor who led me on the early phase of my audiophile quest. He showed me his Leica camera, lenses and other photographic equipment and encouraged me to get a system and start photography. While I was unable to follow his suggestion, I did learn some basic information about Leica photo and optical consumer products as well as how elevated the companies Leica and Zeiss were in the consumer photo/optical world because of their history of technological advances, superior quality products, and the durability/reliability of their products. Products truly built for a lifetime. The reputations of those companies learned so long ago I still carried with me as I soon decided to purchase a model from one of the companies with "Alpha" models- even if the alpha or premium model was beyond my budget. Since I do not live near a binocular store and the closest hunting store with some models was 3 or more hours away by car, I decided to order from B and H in NY. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Leica Trinovid HD 8x42 when I caught a glimpse of a member’s mention of the recently released Zeiss SFL 8x40.

I was aware of Leica's reputation for producing lush, saturated colors through some of its binoculars and lenses. Zeiss binoculars were reported to have a more neutral and/or natural color image. Each company seemed to have a reputation in the industry for a particular color pallet or color emphasis that characterized some of their consumer products much like certain high end audio companies had become associated with a particular class of sound by manipulating different frequencies of the equipment's frequency response curve, ie, the "west coast' sound that was typically bright and etched as opposed to a sound that was characterized as harmonious and mellow or more "laid back". For reasons beyond the scope of this post I opted for the more reportedly neutral color balance of the Zeiss SFL image and ordered it from B and H.

The binoculars arrived and it failed my first examination looking through them at my neighbor’s roof line against a gray sky. The CA was incredible along the roof and almost everywhere else. I called B and H and arranged to return them immediately. I wanted to try another unit because I couldn't believe the binocular wasn't defective out of the box. Another binocular was sent by B and H immediately upon their receiving my return of the first one. I received the second SFL 8x40 and WOW. I am very happy with it. The image through it is sharp and natural in appearance. I saw gorgeous views seen in their natural beauty without the binocular enhancing or emphasizing any part of the color spectrum in an apparent manner. The binocular did not add a color cast to the image that was not present in the scene and that tainted all the scene's objects, whether or not that was an accurate representation of the scene. The accuracy of the image viewed through the binocular compared with the actual image was very close, not perfect, but very good. Since I have owned the SFL 8x40 I have used it almost every day. My appreciation of it and the view through it has grown as has my enjoyment and satisfaction derived from following birds through tree branches that were previously impenetrable. I learned long ago that you have a real "keeper" if your enjoyment from its use grows as you use it and you continue to discover and appreciate different aspects of it and its use. I look forward to using it each day.

As a postscript this was not an attempt to evaluate the SFL as binoculars or to compare it to other binoculars. I am sure I would also appreciate views through the Leica binocular family as well as Swarovski, Nikon and many other companies. In fact, I hope to add a 10x binocular if my budget in the future can accommodate the purchase. It would be fun to select the 10x binoculars from a different company or binoculars family. Pleased SFL owner.

It is always a delight to read a post from someone who is truly happy with a binocular, rather than the all too common carping criticism.

Vision through a decent binocular, so far exceeds vision with our bare eyeballs, that I just cannot understand why so many seem to miss out.

Enjoy, and keep informing us of your adventures in enhanced vision.

Don't be in any rush to spend more money on 10X. There are tradeoffs, and many go from 10X to 8X as their preferences evolve.

Enjoy every minute.

I sometimes wonder whether having a background in photography can be a bit of a two-edged sword when it comes to birding, because the essence of the pastime - ie. finding and identifying birds - does not really require either the outstanding image offered by the great optics brands, or much in the way of technical knowledge of optics and image parameters. Knowledge of what chromatic aberration is can lead you on an expensive hunt for binoculars that eliminate it (so far as that can be achieved), a preference for saturated colours (my own preference when it comes to photography) can lead to excluding some outstanding birding binoculars perceived as having the wrong colour cast.

All that said, we are what our experiences have made us, and I'm delighted that the OP has found binoculars he enjoys so much. I hope to be able to be able to be actively birding when I reach your age sir - even if all I've got left by then is a lowly single coated porro!

They are the “same thing, only different.“

One involves projecting images on to a living retina, which is hooked to a brain which does all sorts of poorly understood magical signal combining and processing. There is no way that a “second order” image can duplicate this experience.

Both involve focussing light, and beyond that point, I don’t see them as the same at all, and I’m not sure that a “background in photography” doesn’t cloud the issue, as much as it helps.

Yust my opinion.

Last edited:
I am a newbie birder whose interest has evolved into a nature observer of birds, butterflies, and animals in that order. I found this forum very helpful in making my first binocular purchase on 03/29/2023. During the "pre-purchase period" I recall hearing and reading about many technical aspects of understanding binoculars and how those technologies affect the use experience such that I (along with apparently many others) felt overwhelmed by the binocular/optical nomenclature, brands, manufacture origin, warranty and actual customer support, durability and reliability, and cost as well as value of the models available. I hope my journey will be helpful to others making their first purchase decision.

A few personal disclosures unfortunately are necessary to provide context for my comments and to understand my approach to the purchase decision. Since my purchase, my almost daily use has provided practical understanding of the terms and concepts of binoculars and their use/benefits that I have read about in BirdForum.
  • I am an active senior closer to 80 than 70 years. I had cataract surgery about 8 years ago on both eyes. Afterwards I have only recently started using glasses for reading and I don’t wear them when looking through the binoculars.
  • My previous experience with binoculars has been limited to a pair of Tasco porro prism marine 7x50's that I used for 20 years for coastal navigation and a friend's 10x42 Vortex Viper I briefly used to learn the impact of "handheld shakiness" on the 8x vs 10x magnification issue.
*My daily use occurs on the North Carolina (USA) Outer Banks where I have access to birding in ocean shore/ coastal marsh environments (Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge for example) as well as full climax maritime forests of Nags Head Woods Preserve and Kitty Hawk Woods Preserve and inland lake and swamp/marsh areas such as Lake Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge and the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge (with approximately 20 miles of trails).
  • Since my late teenage years my interest in music and music reproduction led to my decades as an audiophile and my interest in art and nature led to my decades of interest in photography. My audiophile and photographic experiences and knowledge helped inform me as I started the quest for my first "birding" binocular.

I first determined my budget and then revised it as I explored the models in the market and the quality/price points discussed here and elsewhere. My audiophile experience taught me all too well about the diminishing improvement in sound quality for more dollars expended as I chased the audiophile Holy Grail of "absolute sound", ie, the exact recreation of a musical experience recorded and replayed through audio equipment. The journey through Harmon Kardon, Scott, Fisher, McIntosh, and Mark Levinson electronics as well as English and German turntables and multiple speaker systems taught me about the enormous amounts of money I could (and did) spend procuring the latest technology with ever smaller increases in sound quality and reproduction. I finally assembled, for me, the system of components that yielded the aural nirvana I was seeking with my available financial resources. That journey was 40 plus years in length. I didn't have that time span for this journey so how could I use that experience to inform my first binoculars purchase?

The answer to that question for me was found by combining the experience of my simultaneous and less complex photography journey where I learned about the wonderful world of Leica and Hasselblad Cameras, Zeiss lenses, and what I could and could not afford... and the latter being all the aforementioned. My parents (then birders but not me) got a top Cannon film camera (pre digital) and I was exposed to photography. After a series of Cannon and Nikon cameras I acquired a Nikon DSLR camera/lens system through which I learned about depth of field, sharpness, contrast, aperture, focus, light, as well as other aspects of capturing and reproducing the visual image with fidelity. Many of those lessons helped prepare me for my first "birder" binoculars purchase decision. This is how those two areas of interest intersected and played out in my journey.

I first heard the names Leica and Zeiss from the neighbor who led me on the early phase of my audiophile quest. He showed me his Leica camera, lenses and other photographic equipment and encouraged me to get a system and start photography. While I was unable to follow his suggestion, I did learn some basic information about Leica photo and optical consumer products as well as how elevated the companies Leica and Zeiss were in the consumer photo/optical world because of their history of technological advances, superior quality products, and the durability/reliability of their products. Products truly built for a lifetime. The reputations of those companies learned so long ago I still carried with me as I soon decided to purchase a model from one of the companies with "Alpha" models- even if the alpha or premium model was beyond my budget. Since I do not live near a binocular store and the closest hunting store with some models was 3 or more hours away by car, I decided to order from B and H in NY. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Leica Trinovid HD 8x42 when I caught a glimpse of a member’s mention of the recently released Zeiss SFL 8x40.

I was aware of Leica's reputation for producing lush, saturated colors through some of its binoculars and lenses. Zeiss binoculars were reported to have a more neutral and/or natural color image. Each company seemed to have a reputation in the industry for a particular color pallet or color emphasis that characterized some of their consumer products much like certain high end audio companies had become associated with a particular class of sound by manipulating different frequencies of the equipment's frequency response curve, ie, the "west coast' sound that was typically bright and etched as opposed to a sound that was characterized as harmonious and mellow or more "laid back". For reasons beyond the scope of this post I opted for the more reportedly neutral color balance of the Zeiss SFL image and ordered it from B and H.

The binoculars arrived and it failed my first examination looking through them at my neighbor’s roof line against a gray sky. The CA was incredible along the roof and almost everywhere else. I called B and H and arranged to return them immediately. I wanted to try another unit because I couldn't believe the binocular wasn't defective out of the box. Another binocular was sent by B and H immediately upon their receiving my return of the first one. I received the second SFL 8x40 and WOW. I am very happy with it. The image through it is sharp and natural in appearance. I saw gorgeous views seen in their natural beauty without the binocular enhancing or emphasizing any part of the color spectrum in an apparent manner. The binocular did not add a color cast to the image that was not present in the scene and that tainted all the scene's objects, whether or not that was an accurate representation of the scene. The accuracy of the image viewed through the binocular compared with the actual image was very close, not perfect, but very good. Since I have owned the SFL 8x40 I have used it almost every day. My appreciation of it and the view through it has grown as has my enjoyment and satisfaction derived from following birds through tree branches that were previously impenetrable. I learned long ago that you have a real "keeper" if your enjoyment from its use grows as you use it and you continue to discover and appreciate different aspects of it and its use. I look forward to using it each day.

As a postscript this was not an attempt to evaluate the SFL as binoculars or to compare it to other binoculars. I am sure I would also appreciate views through the Leica binocular family as well as Swarovski, Nikon and many other companies. In fact, I hope to add a 10x binocular if my budget in the future can accommodate the purchase. It would be fun to select the 10x binoculars from a different company or binoculars family. Pleased SFL owner.
I have the SFL 8x40 for my main birding binocular and I appreciate it also. As said above, don't be in a rush to buy a 10x because even though a 8x has less magnification they have a lot of other advantages like better DOF, bigger FOV, they are easier to hold steady and they are brighter. And for god’s sake, don't try an SLC 8x56 because you will want one of those too.

jacada45, post 1,
If you want to start with a good binocular at a fair price try the GPO Passion ED 8x32: good optical performance and good handling properties,. A test report can be found on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor.
Gijs van Ginkel

Manufacturing defects happen, but B&H is well-known for their quality service and made it right. Enjoy your new SFL and the birdwatching opportunities they open to you!

Rather than 10x binoculars, I’d suggest stabilized high-magnification binoculars like the Sig Sauer Zulu6 HDX in 16x or 20x magnification.

Congratulations! The Zeiss SFL 8x40 are reportedly great: light, bright, sharp... I wish you much enjoyment birding!

Congratulations! The Zeiss SFL 8x40 are reportedly great: light, bright, sharp... I wish you much enjoyment birding!

Oh and yes, don't rush to get an 10x. They magnify a bit more, but they also have a bit shallower DOF and a bit narrower field of view, everything is a compromise, and you can be a happy birder forever with just 8x.

The CA was incredible along the roof and almost everywhere else... Another binocular was sent by B and H immediately upon their receiving my return of the first one. I received the second SFL 8x40 and WOW
Presumably there was some misalignment in the first unit. MIJ Zeiss seem to have some issues with QC, but glad you got a good one second time around, and hope you continue to enjoy it. There's a thread here and other whole sections on BF to report what you see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back