• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4500--Has this happened to anyone else!! (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
I feel so silly!!.Today I thought I would have a try at using the suggested macro setting on the 4500 ,as it was a lovely sunny day.Took a couple of shots of the Herons in the morning mist ,some Swallows in the sunshine on the phone wires at midday,and headed of to the hide in the afternoon.A common Tern was posing nicely,and a Dunlin was in good view at the waters edge.For some unknown reason the camera kept freezing.A prob I have not come across previously,although I do know it has happened to others,and in the morning the remote was tempermental so changed the battery and it seemed okay.The lcd screen had green icons which I thought seemed odd,and there was an icon on the left of the screen which looked like a memory card.But I took lots of shots,really concentrating on the yellow macro flower,allowing the camera to focus etc,I did wonder why the Oystercatchers bill did not look very orange but just put it down to the fact that images viewed on the lcd screen look different to how they appear when actually coming through on to the pc.96 images I shot,came home trans to the pc,and they were all Sepia.I could not believe my eyes.I phoned the dealer from whom the camera was purchased a year ago,and he said it must have been on the sepia setting.Sure enough I looked in the manual,and the setting was on Sepia.How could this have happened?.I did not know there was such a setting least of all how to change it to the setting.I never alter the 4500 settings.Has this ever happened to anyone else?.I was so cross.A whole days efforts lost.I have been into Photoshop to see if the colour will return but no joy.
A very disconsolate Christine.:eek!: But I did enjoy the lovely day in the sun.

I haven't had this problem but then I've only had my camera a few months. I can empathise a bit because I'm always getting things like this happen to me - usually with computers. Like my inbox deciding to archive itself and start a new one! Thanks for posting - at least I'll recognise problem if it happens.

christineredgate said:
I feel so silly!!.Today I thought I would have a try at using the suggested macro setting on the 4500 ,as it was a lovely sunny day.Took a couple of shots of the Herons in the morning mist ,some Swallows in the sunshine on the phone wires at midday,and headed of to the hide in the afternoon.A common Tern was posing nicely,and a Dunlin was in good view at the waters edge.For some unknown reason the camera kept freezing.A prob I have not come across previously,although I do know it has happened to others,and in the morning the remote was tempermental so changed the battery and it seemed okay.The lcd screen had green icons which I thought seemed odd,and there was an icon on the left of the screen which looked like a memory card.But I took lots of shots,really concentrating on the yellow macro flower,allowing the camera to focus etc,I did wonder why the Oystercatchers bill did not look very orange but just put it down to the fact that images viewed on the lcd screen look different to how they appear when actually coming through on to the pc.96 images I shot,came home trans to the pc,and they were all Sepia.I could not believe my eyes.I phoned the dealer from whom the camera was purchased a year ago,and he said it must have been on the sepia setting.Sure enough I looked in the manual,and the setting was on Sepia.How could this have happened?.I did not know there was such a setting least of all how to change it to the setting.I never alter the 4500 settings.Has this ever happened to anyone else?.I was so cross.A whole days efforts lost.I have been into Photoshop to see if the colour will return but no joy.
A very disconsolate Christine.:eek!: But I did enjoy the lovely day in the sun.
There is a "Factory Default" setting available in the menu area, Christine. Try using that, then reset in-camera sharpening to high as standard. That will sort you out. Also, it's worth taking the batteries out and reinserting them when odd things happen.

Thanks,Steve,I have not used the camera since,the one day I did go out to test it,there wasn't anything suitable,but it is back in colour now,but will have to check the digiscoping settings.I never fiddle with this camera,because it is set up for digiscoping .so cannot understand why it happened.Weird!!.Must be Tann'ys crop circle spirits!!.

I run through a little routine each time before I go out digiscoping.

Once my rig is all setup, I align my little red-dot LED sight. By picking some target. Next, I do a white balance preset using a blank sheet of paper from my 4"x6" spiral notebook that I carry. Then I snap a picture of a tree, cactus or fencepost - making sure that there is some sky in the shot. I review that picture and if all looks good, I'm off to the trail.

I also regularly review images while in the field.

I unintentionally shot about a dozen pictures as Black and White while on vacation a few years ago and I guess I learned my lesson there. Check and recheck setting. Review the pictures.

Last edited:
Thankyou,Jay,good advice indeed.I do not check as I expect things to be as I left them.The world of technology is indeed very strange!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back