• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

paraglider V Himalayan Vulture (1 Viewer)

Not sure whether the Vulture survives! Ed: sorry just reread ColD's post! Doh

Gripping stuff, to stay cool through a collision like that!

Wow!!! Scary. I've often wondered if such collisions ever occur. Now I know. Convincing scream of terror! Wonder what happened to the EV in the end? Edit: I mean after the landing...

Last edited:
Yeah it's a shame the camera didn't keep rolling to see if the bird was badly damaged or not. Hard to tell from what we can see on the vid. When skydiving, I had a few close calls with inquisitive Black and Turkey Vultures whilst under canopy at Zephyrhills, FL, but thankfully never that close!!

And there's me thinking it was in Italy !! Thanks for posting the youtube link Ed, nice to see the whole thing and get the species right.

ColD

And there's me thinking it was in Italy !! Thanks for posting the youtube link Ed, nice to see the whole thing and get the species right.

ColD

joys on the internet..Italian link posted via Cyprus of a Russian hangglider in India

I'm waiting for someone to pop up and say something further about the ID of the bird- it's very pale, but I think that's down to video glare

Defo Himalayan Griffon http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Himalayan_Griffon

Amazed the vulture didn't break it's wing though and at the end of the vid you kinda get the impression he was blaming the vulture for it all! Vulture's airspace before his I reckon.

The really scary (and lucky on his part) thing is that one of them didn't hit him directly, that would have had much more serious consequences given the speeds involved.

EDIT Thought I'd correct the title just to avoid further confusion. :t:

Last edited:
In the Metro today (London am Freebie) - as an "Eagle". Perhaps the great metropolitan unwashed don't recognize vultures anymore. Other than bankers that is.

cheers, a

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back