• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida/Naples area in April/May? (1 Viewer)

skywatcher

I'm enquiring for a couple of photo buddies of mine who have visited Florida three or four times but always in November. They are considering returning at a different time of year, maybe April\May but are a bit anxious about weather/light/heat/bugs/ drought (hell, everything!!!). We're from London, UK so would be grateful if anybody who's a birder/photographer could give us an insight into things at that particular time of year.

Thanks a ton (as Arthur Morris would say!)

Rosie.

April and May are generally relatively rain-free (highly variable but the rainy season is more June -Aug) and the temperatures and humidity can certainly be uncomfortable, especially for one from your little foggy island :^) I can also be just about perfect weather, warm though comfortable ... it all depends on luck, weather fronts etc. It appears as if we're under a mild na Nina so that typically results in drier patterns in Florida.

Bugs (mozzies and tabanids [biting flies]) are variable and local, though Snake Bight Trail and much of the Everglades seem to have mozzies year-round, though that may just be my impression from seemingly being exsangunated on every visit! And the simulids (biting gnats aka no see 'ums) can be bad especially around mangroves.

IMO, subtropical light can be flat during much of the day, so like many locations early and late offer the best light.

Have fun and good birding....

Last edited:
Many thanks, Steve, for your help. Yes, we can get a bit foggy at times but mostly it's grey, grey skies in winter. I know what you mean about the flat light. Most of the amazing shots I see on BPN are taken early or late.

Season's Greetings and good birding in 2012.
Rosie.

April/early May is a great time of year to visit Florida, as spring migration is in full swing and the Caribbean specialties are arriving (Gray Kingbird, Antillean Nighthawk, Black-whiskered Vireo, etc). Mangrove Cuckoos are singing and more conspicuous.

Humidity is lower and probability of rainfall is usually very low that time of year. It is still quite warm, although not much warmer than November.

Carlos

April/early May is a great time of year to visit Florida, as spring migration is in full swing and the Caribbean specialties are arriving (Gray Kingbird, Antillean Nighthawk, Black-whiskered Vireo, etc). Mangrove Cuckoos are singing and more conspicuous.

Humidity is lower and probability of rainfall is usually very low that time of year. It is still quite warm, although not much warmer than November.

Carlos

LOL he's from London mate...it's gonna feel hot for most Brits not used to Florida weather. Still a great time of year to visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back