• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nepal April/May 2024 Langtang region (1 Viewer)

David Roche

Hi All

Just putting out feelers to see if anyone would be interested in potentially teaming up for a trip to Nepal, trekking the Langtang Valley in April/May next year? I have already booked my flights, out from London 19th April, returning from Kathmandu 12th May, but have since discovered that the Nepali government have brought in new regulations that now make it mandatory to be accompanied by a certified guide. If that's the case, and I'm no longer allowed to trek the route solo as I did in Nov 2017, the idea of another birding participant suddenly becomes quite an appealing prospect. As treks go, its not a particularly challenging one and anyone with a reasonable state of fitness should complete it without much difficulty.

For my first trip in 2014 I used the services of Unlimited Trekking Nepal, based in Pokhara and would happily use them again. Highlights from Langtang in Nov 2017 (trip report attached) included Tibetan Snowcock, Himalayan Monal, Long billed Thrush, Grandala, Yellow rumped Honeyguide, Chestnut headed Tesia, Fire tailed Myzornis and Great Parrotbill. Better chance of Blood Pheasant, Satyr Tragopan and Ibisbill this time around plus summer migrant Flycatchers and Cuckoos.

Anyone interested or keen to find out more, just drop me a message. Its an incredible place...
David

Attachments

• Langtang 2017.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
I would love to, but can't make it in 2024.

You would want to change the year in the title of this thread :D

I would love such trip as I've spent half a year in Nepal (for work) seeing 300+ species but missing all the high altitude specials. Next spring, however, won't be possible. I would like to read how it went with the new guide rules after your trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back