• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dyfi Ospreys 2012 (1 Viewer)

Here's hoping that Monty and Nora have a very successful season, I'm looking forward to another visit in May to coincide with Pied Flycatcher and Redstart activity down the road at Ynyshir NNR.

I'll follow the Dyfi Blog with great interest :t:

Great news, egg number two expected within the next 24 hours, superb images and movie footage from the staff of Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust.

Redstart and Pied Flycatchers also taking up territories in nearby Ynyshir NNR.

Has anyone heard if there are any other pairs breeding in Wales, quite a few sightings down south earlier in the month

Has anyone heard if there are any other pairs breeding in Wales, quite a few sightings down south earlier in the month

Well there is a pair breeding at Glaslyn.

There was a nest at Welshpool in 2004 but the at least one of the ospreys did not return in 2005.

If you got "Life of Ospreys" by Roy Dennis there is a picture of the Welshpool nest on page 161

Reference to the 2004 nests is to be found here

Just back from a week in the Dyfi area, spent quite a bit of time chatting to the staff at this superb location. My only criticism (and it's a big one) is that the nest platform is quite simply too far away at 700 metres, and although the new live high definition television views are top class in the visitors centre, I just don't want to see Ospreys on television, I can do that at home, the Montgomery Wildlife Trust must provide consideraby closer public viewing, I understand it will cost a tidy amount, but a substantial amount has already been spent, I don't believe enough thought really went into it. The birds put up with the rail network coastal train passing very closely virtually round the clock, so it's hardly likely a well positioned hide is going to cause any harm or problems.

The staff are doing an excellent job and my suggestion in no way detracts from the hard and dedicated work they and the MWT volunteers are doing.

Good news and sad news from Dyfi, the good news is that Nora & Monty have two healthy chicks, the sad news is that one of the three young that hatched has died, heavy rain played it's part in the tragedy, but nature will always take it's course, for good or bad.

Lets hope that they now thrive, the past few days and the current weather conditions have made for a rather worrying and emotional time, it's such a pity that the warm weather we had during the latter part of May could'nt have continued through the critical stages of egg hatching and the 'downy stage' of these young Ospreys lives, but lets remain positive, they have two excellent parents.

Further details can be found on the Dyfi Osprey Project website, the link can be found above.

There has been an amazing saga at Dyfi.

Torrential rain for 24 hours but the two chicks initially survived. Then one died and after a short intervention the other one survived.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back