• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not meant to be there (1 Viewer)

walwyn

United Kingdom
This was taken about 5 miles north of Marans in the marais poitevin. Photo is fuzzy as I was hand holding a 400mm len in poor light. They were in a flock of about 20 and according to my guide book aren't meant to be there.

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 211
Hi Walwyn,
I take it that these are Cattle Egrets? Hard to be sure based on this pic, but they look okay for that species. They also seem too stocky for Little Egrets, but it's hard to say, and that species can sometimes be seen in fields!
Cattle Egret is currently spreading in France, and I wouldn't be too surprised at birds being somewhere where they weren't meant to be: how many years out of date is the guide book now...?
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Walwyn,
I take it that these are Cattle Egrets?

Yes my first thought was Little Egret as I stopped the car, but they were clearly more bulky and didn't really have the elongated neck you'd associate with an egret. Guide Book is circa 2001 and has no indication of the species in France.

Clearer photo attached.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 178
walwyn said:
Yes my first thought was Little Egret as I stopped the car, but they were clearly more bulky and didn't really have the elongated neck you'd associate with an egret. Guide Book is circa 2001 and has no indication of the species in France.

Clearer photo attached.

Definitely Cattle Egret, i've seen them in France as well.

"they were clearly more bulky and didn't really have the elongated neck you'd associate with an egret."

Egrets vary, your description is actually very appropriate for Cattle Egret in relation to the other species.

Dave

Hi Walwyn,
This clearer pic leaves no room for doubt: the bird in that one clearly is a Cattle Egret. The stocky structure and yellow stubby bill are good features.
Harry

Hello,
I saw a flock at Grenade sur l'adour on the way down south this year and got all excited when my new Collins said they weren't present in France. Everyone soon put me straight!

Jen :)

I'd never seen cattle egrets before and these had me a little stumped. It wasn't until two days later when we drove to Teich and I got to see one about from a hide 5 meters away that it became obvious what it was I that I'd been looking at.

The flock on the Marais Poitevin were still there about 6 days later, and visible from the "Les Hutts" reserve on the D10.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back