• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two-tailed Pasha: Algarve in May ? (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

I have a long weekend booked in mid-May, staying 2 nights near Monchique and one near Loulé.

Could I please have some tips for finding the above butterfly ? This is the main target of my trip.

Both hotels at which I will stay have Strawberry Trees around them.

Many thanks.

These super butterflies are more common in the autumn than in the spring I reckon. I feel that the wild habitats containing Strawberry Tree (often with Erica arborea and small Cork Oaks) are best. Although they can visit almost anywhere, isolated planted Strawberry Trees ("Medronheiro") in a garden type situation are not a particularly good place to look for them. Both areas where you are staying hold the species (maybe Monchique is a bit to high) but close to Loule would be better - try around Querença and along that road to Barranco do Velho and then maybe come back south towards São Bras de Alportel. Try high spots on the lower hills with the food plant - they do hilltop a lot! Also, once in good areas you could try a small cup of diesel fuel (duly covered with cloth or something!) - they are attracted - I know someone who attracted one using a pineapple ring too.

They are one of those species that when you try and see them it brings failure - as I live here I see them often, especially in the autumn. I have taken folks to see them though with some success.

You maybe interested in this page on my website, with flying times etc of all the Algarvean butterflies: http://www.algarvebirdman.com/default.asp?o=13080

Good luck!

Simon

PS: they fly extremely fast ;)

Thanks, Simon: all noted.

I'm sure I'll have a good few days, anyway.

If I had to return later in the year, it wouldn't be a disaster.

Two Tailed Pasha

Thanks, Simon: all noted.

I'm sure I'll have a good few days, anyway.

If I had to return later in the year, it wouldn't be a disaster.

A couple of Photos taken at the Foia Radar Stations in October 2011.
Never thought of it before, but I believe that there are some diesel compressors near to where they were taken:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/micksway/8354533369/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/micksway/8354533605/in/photostream
Sadly they were very fleeting views amongst dense scrub.
Good luck
Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back