• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owen's Wildlife 2024 (3 Viewers)

April 20th

Enjoyable sunny family walk along the Ely river brought my first Large Whites and Orange Tips and my first UK Small Whites, lots of brimstones too and one Holly Blue, finally felt properly springlike after some false starts. Only got photos of a female orange tip.

16 Large White
17 Orange tip

ot20241.JPG
ot20242.JPG

Birds 213 mammals 12 herp 4 butterflies 17. Total 246 lifers 14

April 24th

Quick after work visit to the blorenge in the black mountains. Was nice to just get outdoors after a days work and there was a nice variety of birds even if they didn't ever get particularly close. Some mid range Whinchat including two males squabbling over a perch and my patience in waiting and waiting for them to get closer didn't pay off as far as the whinchat went but did mean I got to see a cracking male redstart. Also that little too distant for a decent photo but a really striking bird.

214 Whinchat
215 redstart

rs.JPG
Birds 215 mammals 12 herp 4 butterflies 17. Total 248 lifers 14

April 25th

A quick visit to the bay to scope a pair of Common Scoter, a patch and uk year tick but not eligible for this blog. They were sat sedately on the water just in front of the Welsh Parliament.

Up to Wenallt woods where someone had had a wood warbler a few days ago, its a lovely wood where I saw my only Red Flanked Bluetail a few years ago. Nice range of woodland birds but no wood warbler.

A couple of miles further on to Rudry Common, again a really nice range of birds, nice to see Redpoll which I dont see near me very often and one song-flighting Tree Pipit. The only photo was of it's back and quite distant so I'll spare you guys that. Depending on the weather I should get to go a bit further tomorrow

216 Tree Pipit

Birds 216 mammals 12 herp 4 butterflies 17. Total 249 lifers 14

April 26th

Ham Wall in Somerset for a morning today. Got there about 8.30 and as always loved every minute. So many close birds, every tree seemed to have blackcaps and every reed bed Cettis and Reed Warblers. Quickly saw a trio of Glossy Ibis and a nice spotted redshank as well as getting close up views of a Great Egret with green breeding plumage lores, not really taken that in before.

Took about 3 hours before I saw a bittern despite constant booming. One was flushed from maybe 10m away by a great egret and watched it in flight over the reeds. A second gave a flyby about 3 feet above the water for the whole length of the clearing in front of the avalon hide. I stuck to bins for that one and it was probably my best ever flight views. Tons of Marsh Harriers and a few sightings of a crane that apparently was the first breeder for the site this year, always good to watch them whatever the ins and outs of reintroductions.

Heard a load of Garden Warblers and one Sedge but weirdly no whitethroats. Eventually managed awful photos of garden warbler in the canopy as well as my first swifts of the year. As I was driving out of the reserve in the early afternoon I had a hobby flying over the car as it crossed from shapwick heath to Ham Wall itself.

Luckily for the Hobby dragon and damselflies were in good supply, my first ones of the year but the damsels in particular were quite numerous. Also plenty of orange tip and peacock and a few speckled woods and green veined whites. The reedbed loop also provided a tiny grass snake.

Always one of my favourite places in the world and another great visit.

217 Swift
218 Bittern
219 Garden Warbler
220 Hobby
5 grass snake
crane2024b.JPG

bitt20242.JPG

otnew.JPG

swift1.JPG

gard20241.JPG

var2024.JPG

Birds 220 mammals 12 herp 5 butterflies 17. Total 254 lifers 14