• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Owls continue (1 Viewer)

NE Birds Plus

The Short-eared Owl show continues here on the Northshore of Massachusetts. These two sat still long enough for a few shots yesterday 2/10 once again at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge. The Nikon Coolpix 995 and Leica scope combo from the front seat of my truck proved to be a nice combination yet again..

Attachments

• short-eared owl 2-10-03 1a x3 aeab 800 enh.jpg
    short-eared owl 2-10-03 1a x3 aeab 800 enh.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 222
Those are very nice shots. I particularly like the second one. And you got them to stand three in a row in each one, too! 3:) I just figured out why you are seeing those owls so easily...it's because I'm not there! (murphy's law: it will take you forever and a day to see a bird you want to see, but once you do, you will see it much more frequently)

Phil, Very nice pictures, I agree with bcurry, and liked the second one the best.
TonyK, would love to see the owls sometime as I have never seen one in the wild. Are they easy to see then? Tawney owls are also common all over the UK but one rarely has a chance to see them.

They are excellent shots.

A bird I remember well from my childhood as one used to patrol the fields out the back om mum and dads house during Winter before they built houses there.

Cheers.

Paula,
There is sometimes an 'invasion year' for SEOs in the UK, when the Scandinavian lemming population crashes, and they come over looking for food. Do you check any web-sites giving details of rare and rarish birds ? If not, there are several good links on Fatbirder (in fact, probably more than several, but I've not needed to look at them all ;).

Tony

Those are Beautiful pics of 2 Beautiful specimens. I'll enjoy these pics till I can attract a real one to my backyard:))

Phil these are brillaint shots you have posted. Really enjoyed seeing these this morning...

Thank you for all of the great comments. To add to
this winters Owl tale the attached was taken today a couple of miles from my house. Eastern Screech Owls are always a treat to see.. but 2 red morph Screech Owls in the same hole was a surprise..

Attachments

• e screech owl 2-13-03 1beab enh.jpg
    e screech owl 2-13-03 1beab enh.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Beautiful Phil! Can I come rub your head for some luck? I would love to feast my eyes on either one of these specimens.

KC it's just a short drive up the coast for great looks at either of these Owls and more... of course it is 12 degrees here at the moment...

What a GREAT picture of screechies!!!

One lives in my neighborhood. I've never seen it, but have always hoped it would be a red. I love having my windows open in the summer and hearing those territorial whinneys!!

I'm lovin' your photos, Phil!!

Absolutely wonderful to see those two owls snug in their tree hole, Phil. Nice shot.
Thank you TOny, will follow up your link advise. I do not get much of a chance to see other website sinds checking up on all the news on BF takes up almost all my online activities!
They (the owls) probably don't come all the way down to Devon.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back