• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A sunny afternoon in Cambridge woodland (1 Viewer)

Paul Rule

After being stuck in the house for the last few days with the cold, felt in great need of some fresh air, and to see some birds other than the daily garden visitors. First stop a local beech wood to see if any Bramblings were around (We have had good numbers since November), and was pleased to find some still around I would estimate in the region of 50 birds. I am hoping we get some males in breading plumage before they depart. Also 22 Fieldfare and a Green Woodpecker.

Then to Wandlebury Ring ( a local beauty spot). Lots of people about with dogs and kids so not that peaceful, but it was nice to see so many Snowdrops and Aconites in flower. Another Green Woodpecker, Greater Spotted Woodpecker and Coal tit were the only birds of note, but the star animal was a Wood Mouse that had decided to venture out near sunset. I nearly missed this as I thought it was a wren at first and almost walked on without putting the bins on it.

Not a bad day then.

Bramlings are a bird I have heard of, but never seen in life. I suppose they get this far north during our winters which are mild compared to the continent (no matter what people may say about the frozen north!)

Cheers.

Paul

Glad to see you're out and about again. What a nice walk you had there.

Hopefully, we'll hear more reports soon.

Peter

Would that be the beech wood on the Fulborn to Addenbrookes rd (Worts Causway?). I nice quiet wood with open pasture and a golf course nearby?

Wandelbury I know well, been goin there for 34 years. I used to take 200+ kids from school up there annually for a maths bash. Not that you would see many birds when they were there.

G Spotted was a good catch and woodmouse are easily overlooked well done.

Mike (ex cantab)

Mike

Thats thats the one. Some of the pasture has been purchased by the trust that owns the wood, and has now been planted with Beech.

Paul

Seemed you had a better day than me for birds at least. Everything seems to have come to a standstill in North east suffolk.

I wanted a Woofy today but just could not get to a secluded spot. Although cold there seemed to be cars & people & dog walkers everywhere. Could not even use the pub's loos in l
Lound cos I had Muddy Wellies on.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back