• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Round Rock, TX (2 Viewers)

hookem2010

With a new job, a house requiring numerous projects, a toddler, and another one on the way, I've been focusing my birding largely within a 2-mile radius from home. I live in a quickly developing suburb, but fortunately, there are several islands of green scattered amongst the ever-expanding concrete tendrils.
With the child at daycare, I squeezed in a morning walk at the 640 acre Old Settlers Park. At least half the land is sporting fields, however there are some wooded areas and a decent sized pond in the center of the park that is good for waterfowl. While my hoped for cinnamon teal did not materialize, I did turn up a lone migrating blue-winged teal, along with 7 other duck species. Blackbirds numbered 100-200, including a single common grackle and a couple dozen Brewer's blackbirds. A FOY scissor-tailed flycatcher flew south over the lake, heralding the imminent arrival of spring. I was also able to add a male eastern bluebird and a singing bewick's wren to my park list. On the way out, a loggerhead shrike made 41 species in about an hour without having to venture down the wooded trails.
I hustled through some housework to see what else I could turn up at other nearby parks. Meadow Lake looked quiet initially, with the water empty save for 2 coots and a double-crested cormorant. Purple martins swirled overhead and savannah sparrows foraged in the grass alongside the ubiquitous great-tailed grackles and red-winged blackbirds, but activity was otherwise slow so I relocated to the north side of the park. I was immediately greeted by the flash of a red belly, as a female vermilion flycatcher, quite rare for this part of the county, hawked insects. A vesper sparrow temporarily shared a tree with its flashier friend, both new park birds for me.
At 50 species for the day, I decided to see how many more I could tack on in my remaining 90 minutes of free time. I moved half a mile down the road to th tiny, but productive Rock Hollow Park. The pond was nearly empty, so I walked into the grassy field, scattering numerous savannah and chipping sparrows. One bird that popped up into a tree struck me as different. Further inspection revealed it to be a migrating grasshoper sparrow, a new county bird for me! A white-eyed vireo and blue-gray gnatcatcher sang from the woods and allowed brief views, recent returnees in the last week. A number of dark-eyed juncos, a species I don't often encounter in other nearby parks, drank from the stream, making 8 species of sparrow in about 45 minutes.
With only 20 minutes left to spare, I stopped by my neighborhood park and added a couple more species, most notably a cooper's hawk loitering around its nest.
All told, I was able to tally 62 species in about 3 hours of birding within 2 miles of my house, including 2 new county birds. Not a crazy number, but when I started birding in 2016, I would never have guessed I could leisurely see 60+ species in the heart of suburbia.

With a new job, a house requiring numerous projects, a toddler, and another one on the way, I've been focusing my birding largely within a 2-mile radius from home. I live in a quickly developing suburb, but fortunately, there are several islands of green scattered amongst the ever-expanding concrete tendrils.
With the child at daycare, I squeezed in a morning walk at the 640 acre Old Settlers Park. At least half the land is sporting fields, however there are some wooded areas and a decent sized pond in the center of the park that is good for waterfowl. While my hoped for cinnamon teal did not materialize, I did turn up a lone migrating blue-winged teal, along with 7 other duck species. Blackbirds numbered 100-200, including a single common grackle and a couple dozen Brewer's blackbirds. A FOY scissor-tailed flycatcher flew south over the lake, heralding the imminent arrival of spring. I was also able to add a male eastern bluebird and a singing bewick's wren to my park list. On the way out, a loggerhead shrike made 41 species in about an hour without having to venture down the wooded trails.
I hustled through some housework to see what else I could turn up at other nearby parks. Meadow Lake looked quiet initially, with the water empty save for 2 coots and a double-crested cormorant. Purple martins swirled overhead and savannah sparrows foraged in the grass alongside the ubiquitous great-tailed grackles and red-winged blackbirds, but activity was otherwise slow so I relocated to the north side of the park. I was immediately greeted by the flash of a red belly, as a female vermilion flycatcher, quite rare for this part of the county, hawked insects. A vesper sparrow temporarily shared a tree with its flashier friend, both new park birds for me.
At 50 species for the day, I decided to see how many more I could tack on in my remaining 90 minutes of free time. I moved half a mile down the road to th tiny, but productive Rock Hollow Park. The pond was nearly empty, so I walked into the grassy field, scattering numerous savannah and chipping sparrows. One bird that popped up into a tree struck me as different. Further inspection revealed it to be a migrating grasshoper sparrow, a new county bird for me! A white-eyed vireo and blue-gray gnatcatcher sang from the woods and allowed brief views, recent returnees in the last week. A number of dark-eyed juncos, a species I don't often encounter in other nearby parks, drank from the stream, making 8 species of sparrow in about 45 minutes.
With only 20 minutes left to spare, I stopped by my neighborhood park and added a couple more species, most notably a cooper's hawk loitering around its nest.
All told, I was able to tally 62 species in about 3 hours of birding within 2 miles of my house, including 2 new county birds. Not a crazy number, but when I started birding in 2016, I would never have guessed I could leisurely see 60+ species in the heart of suburbia.
Sounds like a great start hookem2010, especially with the mix of other stuff you have going on!

I love birding a local patch and mine in Sydney Australia is also highly built up but nonetheless delivered species No 100 within just 8 months. My record for a day is 56 and that required some serious effort, so it sounds like your patch may be a little richer, especially as migration kicks in. I'd be interested to hear more.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back