• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rio Napo lodges (1 Viewer)

I think most lodges on the Rio Napo will stretch a lot of budgets. We stayed at Napo Wildlife Center and I have nothing but good things to say about it, but it wasn't particularly inexpensive. I'd take a look at Sani Lodge. They offer a camping option, but it really isn't that much less than one of their cabins.

We spent 6 nights at Napo, and had 295 species. Not bad.

Looking for a budget-friendly lodge on the Rio Napo

As already noted, there don't seem to be a lot of inexpensive options (I'm making similar inquiries on behalf of a small group planning a trip for late 2015).

Of course, part of the budget equation is accessibility and transportation, and I've been seeking satisfactory alternatives upriver not far from Tena & Misahualli. We're strongly leaning toward a stay of about four nights at Arujuno Jungle Lodge (http://www.arajuno.com/accommodations.html). The lodge does seem to cater to birders (with a canopy tower, for example). It's actually located on the Rio Arajuno not far from where it meets the Rio Napo. Reportedly not far from Jatun Sacha Reserve.

Gary H

Thanks for the info. Just checked the Napo Wildlife Center site, and while it has a lot on info, what is conspicuously lacking is any prices! Why??? Gary: the Arajuno option definitely looks better, but I can't find anything like a bird list... Still looking! Jon

the Arajuno option definitely looks better, but I can't find anything like a bird list...

Finding bird lists for that region has proven an exercise in frustration. Renato Mendoza (Pululahua Hostal) offers a link to a list for Jatun Sacha Biological Station, compiled by Bonnie Bochan (see http://www.pululahuahostal.com/html/jatun_sacha_bird_watching.html). It doesn't include any status codes other than asterisks for those species deemed very rare or for which there are no recent observations.

For the upper tropical (or lower subtropical) zone just north of Archidona (which is just north of Tena) there is an excellent coded list at http://www.wildsumaco.com/html/birdssumaco.php. There is also a nicely annotated list of specialties (including some Amazonian "spillovers") at http://hr-rna.com/RNA/Chat Local Pages/Wild Sumaco Specialties List.htm

Arajuno's owner tells me he has an informally maintained list of birds found there and has promised to scan it and send me a copy.

Gary H

Could bird lists be gleaned from Ebird by now?

I am probably the last birder on the planet reluctant to accept Ebird as a reliably accurate indicator of a region's avifauna. However, it certainly should offer SOME insight into the birdlife of any destination for which an adequate number of reports has been submitted.

Another option might be Avibase (http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/checklist.jsp?region=ecma&list=clements), filtering the Ecuador mainland checklist for "Oriente" or one of the two "Napo" options (Napo" or "Napo (former province)"). Still no abundance codes but threat status is indicated for species at least "near-threatened". The resulting list covers a very large region, however, with habitats ranging widely in elevation, extent of disturbance, etc.

Gary H

Here’s my research thus far, for 4d/3n per person in double accommodation (US$)
Arajuno $365 (plus 12% tax)
Sacha: 950
Napo Wildlife Center: 920
Sani: 780
Yarina: 460

This will probably sound strange but for sites in Amazonia, I think it's better to rely upon trip reports than bird lists because the birds that are present depend much more on the types of habitat still present and the extent to which they have been impacted by hunting and deforestation.

For example, the historic bird list for Arajuno and nearby is probably around 530 or so species (rough guess off the top of my head) but with deforestation and hunting in the area, large raptors, large macaws, cracids, trumpeter, and some other birds will be scarce or absent. Edge species will be common but if you don't have access to good terra firme forest, you aren't going to encounter the many species associated with that. Same goes for flooded forest. Also, as far as status goes, one can pretty much expect that edge species will be locally common in any edge habitat, forest birds naturally rare, and high quality, wilderness areas by far the best spots to see macaws, big raptors, monkeys, and the highest numbers of bird species.

With better coverage, I bet eBird would give a pretty accurate list for sites in eastern Ecuador. Near Tena, from personal experience, Jatun Sacha has access to the best habitat (and even there large raptors are scarce, large macaws absent, and trumpeters and Cracids very rare). I can't say much about lower priced alternatives down river but if Google Earth shows that such a lodge is located within extensive, roadless forest, it will be good.

I realize that this might not help much in finding the best, lower cost site for birding in eastern Ecuador but research will hopefully reveal a couple of best options. I don't know how Arajuno Lodge is but if it doesn't have access to good forest, might not be worth it.

Jon

Forests near Indian communities will be heavily hunted. I went to Kapawi on the Pastaza 7-8 years ago and that was hopeless for Cracids (but great for smaller things like Antbirds). Good luck.

cheers, alan

I don't know how Arajuno Lodge is but if it doesn't have access to good forest, might not be worth it.

According to the owner at Arajuno Jungle Lodge, his property is adjacent to Jatun Sacha (along the portion of reserve contiguous to the Rio Arajuno) and his trail system intersects with that of the reserve. Elevation ranges from 350 m to 470, and habitats (on his property) include cultivated land, primary and secondary forest, 2 rivers, 1 lagoon and a couple of ponds. An observation tower overlooks the Rio Arajuno.

The lodge is actually located on the Rio Arajuno, approx. 5 km (south) from the point at which it flows into the Rio Napo, and 8 km (east southeast) from Misahualli. Canoes are used for transport to the Rio Napo (including areas where hoatzins are regular).

He sent me a list of 149 species, rating 109 on a range from rare to common (based on his observations, those of his guides and presumably some guest reports). He coded the remaining 40 as species for which he needs additional information or confirmation. Of those rated uncommon-common, I find 69 species that are likely to be of interest to the listers in our group (mostly potential lifers, but a few species that some of us have seen in Costa Rica, often with Patrick!). He emphasizes that the list isn't the result of a rigorous ornithological survey.

I've been reviewing the Ridgely/Greenfield status & distribution volume (and comparing it to the range maps in the field guide volume), and have compiled a spreadsheet with inferred abundance codes for our probable destinations (including the Jatun Sacha area). If I haven't grossly misinterpreted Ridgely/Greenfield, I count another 165 Neotropical species of relatively high interest to South American novices for which the inferred abundance is greater than uncommon, including 56 that seem to be rated as at least fairly common in lowlands up to at least 400 meters with maps suggesting ranges extending westward to the Rio Napo area or beyond. I understand that conditions on the ground will alter those calculations (probably significantly), but I do think that especially with the access to Jatun Sacha's terra firme forest, two riparian corridors, some flat water features, clearings and other disturbed habitats a place like Arajuno might prove to be a reasonably good primer for those unfamiliar with the bird life of the western fringe of Ecuador's eastern lowlands.

Conversely, I concur with Patrick that lodges farther downriver (especially at elevations of 300 meters or less) & more removed from disturbed habitats will produce an exciting cohort of species not likely at Arajuno or Jatun Sacha, including more than a few spectacular iconics. And just to clarify, that's someone with a bit of book-learning agreeing with (actually, deferring to) an experienced observer of Neotropical bird life.

Gary H :)

including 56 that seem to be rated as at least fairly common in lowlands up to at least 400 meters with maps suggesting ranges extending westward to the Rio Napo area or beyond.

I meant to say "westward to the Puerto Napo area or beyond"

Gary H

Might be worth noting that at Arajuno you can add a fourth night for a relatively modest $25 per person, plus $12 for each additional meal.

The professional guide included in the three-night birding package is available for days 2 & 3. If a day is added to the package, the guide can be retained for another day for $50 (that's per-group, not per-person).

Gary H

According to the owner at Arajuno Jungle Lodge, his property is adjacent to Jatun Sacha (along the portion of reserve contiguous to the Rio Arajuno) and his trail system intersects with that of the reserve. Elevation ranges from 350 m to 470, and habitats (on his property) include cultivated land, primary and secondary forest, 2 rivers, 1 lagoon and a couple of ponds. An observation tower overlooks the Rio Arajuno.

The lodge is actually located on the Rio Arajuno, approx. 5 km (south) from the point at which it flows into the Rio Napo, and 8 km (east southeast) from Misahualli. Canoes are used for transport to the Rio Napo (including areas where hoatzins are regular).

He sent me a list of 149 species, rating 109 on a range from rare to common (based on his observations, those of his guides and presumably some guest reports). He coded the remaining 40 as species for which he needs additional information or confirmation. Of those rated uncommon-common, I find 69 species that are likely to be of interest to the listers in our group (mostly potential lifers, but a few species that some of us have seen in Costa Rica, often with Patrick!). He emphasizes that the list isn't the result of a rigorous ornithological survey.

I've been reviewing the Ridgely/Greenfield status & distribution volume (and comparing it to the range maps in the field guide volume), and have compiled a spreadsheet with inferred abundance codes for our probable destinations (including the Jatun Sacha area). If I haven't grossly misinterpreted Ridgely/Greenfield, I count another 165 Neotropical species of relatively high interest to South American novices for which the inferred abundance is greater than uncommon, including 56 that seem to be rated as at least fairly common in lowlands up to at least 400 meters with maps suggesting ranges extending westward to the Rio Napo area or beyond. I understand that conditions on the ground will alter those calculations (probably significantly), but I do think that especially with the access to Jatun Sacha's terra firme forest, two riparian corridors, some flat water features, clearings and other disturbed habitats a place like Arajuno might prove to be a reasonably good primer for those unfamiliar with the bird life of the western fringe of Ecuador's eastern lowlands.

Conversely, I concur with Patrick that lodges farther downriver (especially at elevations of 300 meters or less) & more removed from disturbed habitats will produce an exciting cohort of species not likely at Arajuno or Jatun Sacha, including more than a few spectacular iconics. And just to clarify, that's someone with a bit of book-learning agreeing with (actually, deferring to) an experienced observer of Neotropical bird life.

Gary H :)

From the description, that sounds like a pretty good selection of habitat. As for the list, the list for that area is probably similar to Jatun Sacha and should be around 500 species, so there should at least be 200 fairly common possible species of interest. Yes, should be a great primer and at a fraction of the price paid for lodges downriver. Lots of good birds around there, even Harpy has been recorded but is pretty rare. Some iconics would indeed be missed but still lots of other species to see, especially lots of antbirds, manakins, some cotingas (including Black-necked Red- rare but lives around there), owls, 3 species potoo, good for rails, Brown Nunlet, Great Jacamar, and so on. Wish I were going with you!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back