• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Eyepiece Jiggles when locked in place (1 Viewer)

aomcm

Hi,

I have noticed the zoom eyepiece on my ATS 65 HD does not lock completely in place. It clicks, but it still has some play and you can still rotate it back and forth about 5 degrees once locked. I looked at the hole for the locking pin in the bottom of the eyepiece and it is oval shaped and much bigger than the locking pin. Thus, this play appears to be part of the design. Is this true? Have others noticed this? I would feel a lot better if it were truely locked down tight. Just curious if there is something wrong with mine. Otherwise a fantastic scope.

I have this scope and zoom eyepiece (also the 30x), and I have no play with either eyepiece. I think something is wrong with yours. It's not the answer you wanted, I know. Sorry. :-(

My old scope didn't have this problem, the new one does. This is using the same 20-60 EP. Both scopes are ATS80HD.

Curtis Croulet said:
I have this scope and zoom eyepiece (also the 30x), and I have no play with either eyepiece. I think something is wrong with yours. It's not the answer you wanted, I know. Sorry. :-(

Could you look at the bottom of the zoom eyepiece. Is the hole for the locking pin round or oval. Mine is oval which I am sure is the cause of the problem, unless it is supposed to catch somewhere else. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just checked my ATS80HD and a 20-60 zoom eye-piece and it locks solid. I know it's not what you wanted to hear ,but there is no movement at all. John.

aomcm said:
Hi,

I have noticed the zoom eyepiece on my ATS 65 HD does not lock completely in place. It clicks, but it still has some play and you can still rotate it back and forth about 5 degrees once locked. I looked at the hole for the locking pin in the bottom of the eyepiece and it is oval shaped and much bigger than the locking pin. Thus, this play appears to be part of the design. Is this true? Have others noticed this? I would feel a lot better if it were truely locked down tight. Just curious if there is something wrong with mine. Otherwise a fantastic scope.

The pin hole on my scope is slightly oval as you describe, but once the pin locks in, the eyepiece can only move about 2 degrees at most and then only using substantial force.
Is it possible you have a problem with the rubber sealing ring on the eyepiece, this causes the three alignemant/locking tabs to pull the scope and eyepiece tightly together and should eliminate any "loose" play.

Tony

Anthony Martin said:
The pin hole on my scope is slightly oval as you describe, but once the pin locks in, the eyepiece can only move about 2 degrees at most and then only using substantial force.
Is it possible you have a problem with the rubber sealing ring on the eyepiece, this causes the three alignemant/locking tabs to pull the scope and eyepiece tightly together and should eliminate any "loose" play.

Tony

Thanks Tony. The rubber sealing ring is in place and looks OK. I had not noticed this ring before. I was worried moisture could get in because the eyepiece-scope connection was not tight enough, but now that I see this ring, I think the scope is sealing, but just not as tightly as I would like. The eyepiece moves everytime I turn the zoom ring and I am afraid this places a lot of force on the locking pin. I have called both my dealer and Swarovski and they are looking in to it. Both feel it may be within normal manufacturing tolerances, but I may ask for a replacement eyepiece (not sure whether it is the scope or the eyepiece) just to see if I can get a better fit.

I finally got through to a technician at Swarovski Optic who told me the eyepiece should not move in the manner I describe. I am returning the scope and eyepiece to the dealer for exchange and hope I get one without this problem. The technician said it should feel like it will never move again.

Last edited:
aomcm said:
Could you look at the bottom of the zoom eyepiece. Is the hole for the locking pin round or oval. Mine is oval which I am sure is the cause of the problem, unless it is supposed to catch somewhere else. Thanks.

It's very slightly oblong. Same on the 30x. I bought this equipment two years ago.

Thankyou for that information, Mike. I'll look into the matter as soon as I get my old scope back from Austria (where Swarovski are repairing some minor and unrelated accidental damage). Then, with my old one back, I won't mind being without the new one for a while.

BTW, it is obviously the scope rather than the EP that makes the problem, as I still have the same EP but on a new scope. (The "old" scope is around 18 months young.)

Just to finish up the thread. I have now received a replacement scope and eyepiece. The fit between the scope and eyepiece is much tighter. I can still twist it if I really try but it does not twist easily everytime I turn the zoom ring as my old eyepiece did.

moving eyepiece

aomcm said:
Just to finish up the thread. I have now received a replacement scope and eyepiece. The fit between the scope and eyepiece is much tighter. I can still twist it if I really try but it does not twist easily everytime I turn the zoom ring as my old eyepiece did.

Hi just checked mine and although its tight (and new) it moves around 1/16 th inch
sounds if it is normal factory tolerence
midlandsbirder

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back