• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request for photo (1 Viewer)

Draco

Hello all,

I am involved with the Purple Martin Conservation Association and they made a request. They are going to do an article in their next issue of the Purple Martin Update magazine on the importance of protecting ALL native birds in the United States. A handful of folks have started to call for the ability to aquire permits allowing them to shoot Hawks and Owls to help protect their Martin colonies. I was outraged and openly stated that I would take every possible action to see that anyone who killed or injured a bird of prey would see the maximum penalty allowed by law. I made some enemies, but the PMCA stood behind me and is going to print the article. Anyway, they need a couple of photos for the piece. A professional wildlife photographer has provided me with a beautiful shot of a Sharp-shinned Hawk, but we still need a good photo of a Cooper's. If anyone can provide me with a photo to use they will get full credit for it in the article, along with printing the URL to their Website if they have one. This would also be helping a very worthy cause. We have to stop this sort of thinking before it gets started!

Thank you,
Mark

Hi Draco

Can't help you myself but if you do a Gallery search there are four pages of pictures if you search for Cooper's Hawk and a further two if you search for Coopers Hawk.

You could have a look through and then send a private message to whoever took the photo of any you think suitable.

Good luck

Matthew

Good for you, Draco! I can't help you with any pictures (I'm from Australia) but I'm sure one of our American members will step forward with a shot.

You have my support Mark. I don't have a pic of a Cooper's but I do of a Goshawk.

Here's a link to the Migratory bird Treaty Act of 1918.The MBTA governs the taking, killing, possession, transportation, and importation of migratory birds, their eggs, parts and nests. It's Federal (US) Law!

http://www.eh.doe.gov/oepa/laws/mbta.html

Draco,

Is there a web site for the group thinking that killing the raptors will save the purple martins? This is such a profoundly stupid philosophy that I am a bit awe stricken.

Thanks to all of you! I got the photo that I needed and it is a wonderful shot.

davedorsey,
Great photo that you have of the Goshawk! Is it used for falconry, injured teaching bird?

Dave S,
No, they do not have a Website. I wish that they did. I'd love to give that to the feds to watch! This is a core group that keeps their activity as silent as possible. When I infiltrated I learned and fought. They have their own acronym - SSSU - Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up.

mcapper,
I took your advice and that's how I got my photo - Thanks!

Have a great day everyone!
Mark

Mark,

The goshawk is an education bird still in training. It came to our center with an injured wing. It didn't heal well enough to be released back to the wild.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back