• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Clothing (1 Viewer)

GaryS

I was surprised to be informed by a very experienced birder that logos on clothing could disturb the birds in view. I have an excellent outdoor jacket from Country Innovation in moss green colour that has a small white logo bearing their name on the front chest of the jacket. Am I guilty of frightening the birds?

Are there any colours/patterns that really do startle birds?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Gary

Bill Oddie wears Country Inovations clothing and it doesn't seem to do his birding any harm,plus he usually wears a hat covered in badges.

not just the clothes we wear, but your typical bino/scope will scare birds off when they catch the light through the objective, plus the noise we make, our aftershave/perfume etc.

Hi Salty - you won't catch me wearing aftershave - I'm a Northern lad!

You raise other issues in fieldcraft which are interesting and it seems you might have some sympathy for my experienced birder's take on the matter of visual stimuli. I note that serious bird/nature photographers use camouflage wrappings on their optics.

Cheers

Gary

Best birding camo outfit

You mean all serious birders don't dress like this to go birding? :bounce:

Attachments

• bug_blaster.jpg
    bug_blaster.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 464
LOL, been to England several times but have yet to see anyone there in this get-up! ;) Although a dear photographer friend here in Colorado swears by hers!

salty said:
our aftershave/perfume etc.

Most birds are thought to have a poor sense of smell so I think you're OK with the aftershave. Perhaps you should avoid anything to pungent on Pelagics though just in case it overpowers the fish oil ;)

Luke

Nice one Adrian!

Having seen Katy's friend's outfit - I think I should stop worrying about my logo - never mind frightening the birds...... shouldn't be be viewed by those of a nervous disposition!

Just the sight of my face seems to be enough to scare most things away! (both people and birds)

But seriously, are birds sensitive to any particular colours? A friend once told me that they're colour blind but I can't believe it - if that were the case what would be the point in "breeding plumage"?

Birds are most certainly not color blind. Just show up at a bird meet wearing a red or yellow jacket and see how long you live. ;) Erm, that's not to imply the birds will attack...

Thats an interesting point about bird vision - perhaps one of the ornithologists on the forum could provide us with some answers. It must be incredibly difficult to research such matters as vision and smell in birds.

Katy is right, birds are certainly not colour blind. Indeed, many birds have a better sight than we do and at least some groups can see light of spectrums that we are unable to see. Some time ago I wrote a brief post about it (#4):

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=15963

In general, I just try to avoid clothes in bright colours when out birding - that's all. I might consider the handsome outfit in post #6, but I'd probably would scare my birding friends away then + I've birded in countries where the local authorities might misunderstand the intensions of a foreign bloke running around their area in an army outfit and with a pair of bins around the neck!

Last edited:
Usually I wear a green anorack & in the summer I wear a Country Innovation Waistcoat. When I was in Benbecula this year My Mum & I had a walk to the beach & on the way I pointed out a Song Thrush and told her to stay still & walk slowly but she was wearing a bright blie & white anorack & it scared the bird off

When out birding I almost always wear a thin khaki green fleece (well, summer has not yet fully arrived here), complemented with no logo whatsoever. This appears to have been the manufacturers choice. The fleece cost £4.99p from Tesco, and a logo would probably have doubled the cost! I personally find it warm enough for me, plus it is virtually soundless. Waterproof it may not be, but then again my health dictates that I am a fair weather birder.

As for headgear, then it just has to be a plain, no logo, green baseball hat (I am bald and would stand out quite significantly. This also acts a a sun visor, and I think helps cover part of the face up from the angle of a bird looking down, eg the extended peak.

Sir's outfit this season is completed with a pair of jeans and matching pair of trainers.

The whole idea of getting close to nature is not to wear bright, gaudy coloured clothing, rushing around, making as much noise as you can. I usually walk around 12-15 steps; take care where I put my feet (twigs, leaves etc); stand; and just look and listen; often leaning against a tree for 4-5 minutes before moving on.

This "system" seems to work well enough for me.

Regards,

camouflage

personaly I try to avoid bright clothing - but I'm not particularly worried if I do wear something brighter occasionaly. My partner tends to wear a football shirt emblazoned with various logos etc.
i don't think it makes that much difference. You really can't avoid been seen but it is important not to be perceived as a threat.
best thing is to avoid standing out in silhouette - so avoid climbing on top of banks, that sort of thing.
Try to have a hedge or something behind you. It breaks up your outline and animals (not only birds) seem to cope better with your presence. You only need to look at a ring plover with it's bold plumage and how it breaks up it's outline when still or sitting on eggs to see that demonstrated.
Obviously rapid movements and noise is a big turn off - I've also heard that direct eye contact is a no no.
so I think the answer is disguise yourself as a ringed plover or a zebra!! ;) much more fetching than all that camo clothing

cheers

Nat

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back