• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for GPS maps for Ecuador? (1 Viewer)

dwminnich

Greetings, folks,

I'll be heading to Ecuador in a few weeks and will be renting a car to get around. This will be a combination birding/sightseeing trip, so we'll be spending some time in the cities (Quito and Cuzco) and some time in more rural areas (e.g. Mindo, Otavalo, Pappallacta, Latacunga). I see a couple of options for GPS maps compatible with a Garmin, one from gpsetravelguides.com and another from gpstravelmaps.com. Does anyone here have experience with either of these (or other options) that would recommend one over the other?

Thanks,

--dave

I use maps.me on i-devices. This is built on openstreetmap and it worked well for me in Ecuador (and other places).

Niels

I use maps.me on i-devices. This is built on openstreetmap and it worked well for me in Ecuador (and other places).

I cling to old school ways quite stubbornly, and if anyone is looking for a non-digitized Plan B for navigating Ecuador's roads, the ITMB travel map (scaled at 1:660,000) proved useful during our first visit to that country (though we enlisted drivers for all transportation).

Gary H

I have been living in Ecuador for the past 16+ years and I have found Motion-X to be the best GPS app for the cities. I have Maps.me also, but always fall back on Motion-X. It is great for the larger cities like Quito or Guayaquil. The smaller locals like Mindo or Otavalo are so small that you don't need a GPS to get around. I have a small Garmen, but haven't used it in years.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back