• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

photographing lepidoptera (1 Viewer)

TonyS

I am looking to buy a compact digital camera to photograph 'wild' insects and those that I might examine from my garden moth trap. Currently I use the still option on my Sony PC120 which gives quite good macro results. However I would like a more portable option and one that gives more detail/magnification. what are others using in this line? I find the review sites technically mind boggling and prefer a more pragmatic user approach. Any pragmatic users out there like me?

Tony

A lot of members use the Nikon Coolpix 4500 for their birding. Fortunately, the camera also has excellent macro capability and may be worth considering.

I'm sure other members will help with other suggestions.

Cheers

Ken

Tony
The Canon Powershot series have excellent "macro" capability, they are also really good compact cameras overall. They are able to use off camera flash units as well. Currently on the Powershot G6 ( 8 megapixels) but I have seen a few of the older models on the second hand market (usually from those upgrading to Digital SLR's). Any of this range from the G3 onwards should be most suitable, or indeed have you considered a Digital SLR, prices are quite close to the more capable digital compacts now whether you go the Nikon or Canon route.

Midge

Thought you might like this shot, below, to show how close you can get, in this case the 'digiscope' adaptor is still in place on Carl Baggott's Nikon 4500 but you can see where the front of the lens is

Quite a lot of cameras have a close focus of about 10cms at the wide angle end of the zoom and about 20cms at the tele end - by using the LCD screen you can take shots at arm's length at these very close distances which means you don't 'overpower' the butterfly as you would with an SLR held up to your face.

Attachments

• _MG_0984.jpg
    _MG_0984.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 197
Thanks folks for your responses. I'm going to look again at the reviews of the Canon Powershot G6, the Sony DSC-V3 and the Olympus C7000zoom or is that the Olympus C70...It would nice to be able to try them out really, like binos but I assume thats not reaaly a goer. Pity

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back