• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rarity of technical binocular reviews (3 Viewers)

You can take measurements all you want, but in the end it's an individual that looks through the bins. And everyone is different and has other priorities. At best you can get an idea of how a pair of binoculars should perform, but that is not a guarantee that it will perform for you. Just as there are camera lenses that have awesome specs, but when you start photographing with it the photos lack punch or whatever. And an old lens with no specs at all looks wonderfull because it has beautifull character.

I think going for the 8x40 SFL is a great idea. For me that would be a very nice high-end upgrade to all the other binoculars on the list. I just checked these out at the bird store. There's a little more false color at the edges than the EDG or Zeiss FL's would have, but much less than the Nikon HG's. Edge sharpness is very good not quite like the EDG but better than the Zeiss FL.

The sharpness & contrast and brightness and everything else is excellent, the focuser is particularly good, the light weight for the 40mm aperture is the best part. I'd always prefer 40mm to 30-32mm. If I took binos with me on more hikes I would choose these for the ultimate lightweight portable bino.

You can take measurements all you want, but in the end it's an individual that looks through the bins. And everyone is different and has other priorities. At best you can get an idea of how a pair of binoculars should perform, but that is not a guarantee that it will perform for you.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

We are not that unique... we are part of user groups with specific attitudes, preferences, decisions etc. An extreme example: a spectacle wearer, watching birds in forests, especially at dusk (nightjars, owls, woodcocks) is looking for 7 x 50 binoculars with enough eye relief. A flat field is no problem, 3D is important in dense forests, enhanced contrast is a plus. However, he hikes all night so the 50 may be too large and heavy. There are many other factors at play but you can point him to a few models.

This sounds like an easy task but over the years I've met many birders with the wrong binoculars. Sometimes they even stop birding because of that. The same applies to photographers. Important players in the market don't like this, for instance Leica wants to sell their 7x42 Ultravid binoculars to this type of active Night Watchers.

That said, the birder should always test a model to see if it performs for him. And of course, many experienced birders know what brand they want.

I have read the full thread and I thought of the following point. For cameras there are parameters that you can measure directly from the images you capture, like resolution, MTF, flatness of the field, maybe transmittance? The camera sensor is at the correct location (in contrast to the problem of getting the eye positioning right with binoculars), there is no subjectivity in the process and anyone can analyse the images. It is then way easier to standardize this than with measurements of binoculars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back