• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Camera? (1 Viewer)

photo_luver

Which of these cameras would be good for digiscoping and for random shots of feeders and macro shots is a must aswell...

Users of these cameras can help me out too

From left to right...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/images/megazooms.jpg

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5
Canon PowerShot S2 IS
Sony Cyber-shot H1
Kodak EasyShare DX740Z

I would like to know since these are all different brands and all have different specs which do you think will work the best while digiscoping or regular zoom photography...

thanks...

Garrett :bounce:

Megazoom cameras really tend to suck for digiscoping, Garrett, for all sorts of structural and optical reasons.

Purely from a big zoom point of view though, the Panasonic is by all accounts a great little camera: I've the "big brother" the FZ20, and there's little to choose, image-wise - and the image stabilisation is a real help sometimes.

But... if you got an FZ20, it's very straightforward to add an Olympus Tcon17 teleconvertor and get the equivalent of 20x optical zoom.

Well the 20x zoom would be nice but those are my choices right there... there is a telephoto add on for the S2 IS and i think im leaning toward it... it does create some color distortion and purple fringing... but can have an added on WC-DC58A for wide and TC-DC58B for telephoto and can bring that up to 18x optical zoom if i am not correct? and also the lens/hood attatchment i like too...

For Macro the 0cm macro mode is awesome and i really need the marco needs....

Now do you think this will cost more if i do this then to get a scope and digi? to setup my own digiscope? or will this do fine?

Thanks Keith

Garrett

Like Keith I have the Panasonic FZ20. Although the S2 is just 10x it has the same proclaimed 36-432mm range - which sounds awfully strange to me?

The S2 wasn't around when I got my FZ20 so I have never actually looked at one so I can't scomment on the results. Obviously Canon have a good reputation to uphold so I can't see it being a bad performer.

The FZ20 though has a max aperture of f2.8 whihc is very useful. It can suffer from CA with 1.7x converter added, but usually just when taking backlit shots.

Like most things I guess the choice is down to personal preference, but if you can then it's worth comparing them side by side. I do like the manual control of the FZ20, but if you are intersted in macro photos, then it isn't a great performer. At 12x zoom 2m is the minimum focus distance - not a great deal of use. It may be worth checking the S2 minimum distance at max zoom. The FZ20 is something like 8 cm at min zoom - but not much use for wildlife subjects!

As regards disgiscope distnaces then I view the FZ20 even with converter as being good for about 20'. Anything more than that then really digiscoping is the only real answer - though there is some overlap between the two. Digiscoping is a whole new ball game thuogh when comparing costs as for reasonable results you do need a decent scope and a different design of camera.

About the FZ20 macro capabilities...

I don't know if these images are good, bad or indifferent but I was chuffed with them: they're both taken simply by shoving the FZ20 up to the subject and pressing the button (I think I'd have been in macro mode!) and I really don't think they're too bad...

The flower is a common-or-garden little daisy, incidentally.

Attachments

• daisy.jpg
    daisy.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 216
  • grass.jpg
    grass.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 207
It is good Keith, I agree but I have found for insects the 4x Nikon CP4500 has out performed as by the time the FZ20 is practically touching the subject it has flown ;)

the Canon S2 IS has a 12x zoom lense your thinking of the S1 IS...

This is the S2 IS specs...

12x optical zoom (36-432mm equiv.)
5.0 million effective pixels
1.8-inch tilt-and-swivel LCD monitor
Color electronic viewfinder
Optical Image Stabilizer (3 modes)
Ultrasonic motor (USM)
Extra-long movie mode with enhanced VGA resolution and stereo sound
Canon DIGIC II processor with iSAPS
PictBridge and Canon Direct Print compatible – no PC required
Six new 'special scene' shooting modes

the S2 has many wicked capabilities including the Super macro mode which means that something can actually touch the front element and be SHARP... heres a pic that i want to share wih the stamen touching the front element...

IMG_1053.JPG

I think this camera rules... ive tryed it out at stores and i love the feel and the zoom quickness and quietness is amazing...

I will buy other lenses and things if necessary..

for other info check out the full indepth preview at dpreivew...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

Thats it for now...

Garrett

yes and the teleconverter does give it that little extra reach! i think ill look into it ad purchase it...

Use it as well as binoculars for taking pics and spotting for my lists!

Thanks alot!

Garrett!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back