• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting closer to the birds (1 Viewer)

Candice

Many birds will fly away as soon as they see you move. One trick is to move in slow motion---very slow motion. Sudden movements can startle birds into flight. If a bird is on the ground, one can often get closer if you walk very slowly straight toward the bird. Birds can sometimes not judge the distance of an object coming straight at them. Do not move anything horizontally (sideways). Birds tend to pick that movement up a bit quicker.

Another thing I have noticed is that many birds will let you get quite close if you act as if you hadn't seen them - they are used to being ignored by 95% of passers-by. On some occasions, slowing down can be counter productive, as it indicates to the birds that they have been seen.

Tony

I have found they let you get very close in a car too - if you see a bird near a road you can slow down and stop by it (I have even backed up to a bird I have passed) wind the window down (To explain to younger birders - cars used to have handles to wind down windows - they haven't always been electric!!) and sit and watch at close range - the shape of the car doesn't seem to bother them like the human shape.

Totally agree with Doug, if you have a car, that has to be the best blind in the world!

Of course, Candice and Doug are right as well, I personally use both approaches to get close to a bird. However, in at least Vietnam and China this does not seem to work, birds here are very nervous (hunting pressure), and won't let anyone get close. I find the best approach to install myself somewhat hidden, and wait for whatever flies, hops, or trundles by.

I have found that getting close to birds of prey is more difficult that getting close to perching/song birds. Shore birds are fairly tolerant of people getting close to them. But some birds in marshy areas are real secretive.

I have to agree with Candice. How many times have you suddenly seen a bird and quickly grabbed your bins which are hanging round your neck. As you lift them quickly to your eyes, the bird flies away. You have simply made a sudden movement and blown it.

Eddie

All good tips, and some fascinating insights into birds' behaviour as well. Thanks everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back